NAS for the Shop - Network Attached Storage

General software related questions should be posted here.
KIDTech
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

NAS for the Shop - Network Attached Storage

Post by KIDTech »

I am working on creating a network in my shop for multiple machines so that I don't have to walk around and work off a jump drive and constantly have to add things to the helpers drives when they are ready to cut another file that I didn't have ready the last time I added files to it.... I'm thinking about going with a NAS approach but not working directly from it. I would add files to it as I worked and then when it's time to machine the part, copy it to the HD from the NAS to the computer running the machine as I feel the NAS will be too laggy. Anyone with experience here feel free to chime in, I just think it would be nice to have the "cloud" approach for moving files.

Also I'm not against spending some money on it but I'm not dropping enough on it to build my own server, trying to stay under a grand or so and if I can get it done around the $500 range that'd be even better.
DIY 5x10 v rail, rack and pinion
Gecko g540
Pm65 - aka game changer
Longevity ForceCut 42i is sitting on the shelf
Proma THC
ACAD, SheetCam, Mach3
Millermatic 211
NEW HORSE IN THE STABLE:
4'x8' LDR downdraft w/a scribe
Milltronics Partner 2 CNC mill
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: NAS for the Shop - Network Attached Storage

Post by urbnsr »

I use a Linux box and SMB for NAS storage in general, but don't use it for the table. I use a flash drive of some type and no network connection. I want my plasma table's computer and controller as quiet as possible. My luck, a flood of network traffic at the wrong time would take a sliver of CPU time. I seem to have enough variables to watch.

Just my 0.02. Have at it...

Paul
m_drunk
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by m_drunk »

We run our Gcode from the network all the time. Most of your controllers (all I'd imagine, Mach3 definitely) will load an entire program to memory before you even click start, which reduces your opportunity for missed steps due to the network to zero.
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

A very elegant solution (IMHO) is to simply use DropBox and point all of your applications to the appropriate folders based on each step in the process. There's no "copying to the HD" required since the file remains concurrent on all platforms. It's worked for months for me in this way:

1. Graphics PC with Inkscape and SheetCAM inside, where it's climate controlled to sit comfortably and work on designs
2. PlasmaTable "PC" with SheetCAM and MACH3, tied to the table on a portable tool stand.

The Dropbox folders update almost instantly, so as I finish up a design indoors and head out to fire up all the mechanicals, I know that the file for final review in SheetCAM will be ready to layer-up and POST the G-Code for MACH3. Again, no copying, I'm working the exact same file.

It works seamlessly and the cost to subscribe to Drop Box for say a Terrabyte of storage is miniscule compared to buying and maintaining a NAS. You will still need a fair amount of drive space locally to keep all of those files because DropBox still uses local resources, but I've got over 26,000 files of cut-ready designs (which takes up less than a GB) at my fingertips along with a public folder I can access on my phone anywhere to show customers my work and I also use that public folder to link forum pics and other things.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Yes I'm doing the same as Capstone near enough there, except using Google drive, I think Dropbox might be better though as Drive is a bit iffy at restarting after pc wakes from sleep, I don't have it on the plasm pc though, that's networked to the internet/design pc.
It works really well plus you have older/previous versions stored as well, that can be a life saver at times.
Like Capstone says being able to work on files indoors and pick up in the workshop with no messing is great.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
islander261
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by islander261 »

Hi

I use NAS for file storage and transfer. Works great and provideds a backup to the work stations. I always download my cut files when I use them because I have a WIFI connection to the house. I am sure it doesn't matter for me because the Torchmate software always loads the whole file before cutting.

John
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

I have never used a Mach setup, but even if the gcode is fully loaded in memory, don't you still have timing concerns with the CPU to, at least, drive the pulses to the motors (among other functions) at just the right time? Or are all movements, etc moved off completely to storage of some type on the controller and then the controller performs the timed instructions?
m_drunk
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by m_drunk »

urbnsr wrote:I have never used a Mach setup, but even if the gcode is fully loaded in memory, don't you still have timing concerns with the CPU to, at least, drive the pulses to the motors (among other functions) at just the right time?
with a modern CPU, no. no concerns at all. the computing and timing power to run a CNC machine is minute compared to what a processor can do.

for example: frequently, while the machine is cutting, we are watching a movie, outputted from the same machine in hi-def and surround sound, and slicing a huge STL in meshcam for the mill. this machine is 5 years old and only has a medium amount of memory.

if you are losing steps on a modern machine, something else is wrong.

BTW: big fan of dropbox for collaboration.
chasxjs
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by chasxjs »

I keep all of my CAD files on a network drive. Allows me to work on my designs from any of several different computers.
The shop is connected to the network via Wi-Fi over 150 feet away.
I then run my CAM program on the computer that is attached to my table to create the final G-code. Saving the G-code to the desktop of this computer before cutting.
It has been working great this way.
Charles
Shopsmith Lathe
Multiple saws, welders, etc.
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

I also use DropBox. I think it's $7.50 a month for an account with 1tb of storage. You can get an external drive (1tb) for around $50. I have one for the shop computer (runs the table) and one for my laptop ( where I design etc when the weather sucks, or the mosquito's are bad, etc). I also have my phone synced with the dropbox account, so all my phone photo's go into a folder there as well. Works flawlessly. Draw it here, it updates and by the time I walk out and am ready to cut, it's on the other computer as well. Also, redundant so if you lose both external drives, it's all still on the server. So, for $100 in drives, and $90 a year you can run the same setup you are discussing, without worrying about obsolescence, lightning, environmental factors etc. The only drawback I have found so far is, that if you do a lot of work remotely, you have to boot the machine computer up and give it 5 min or so after bootup to get all the new files updated and downloaded, of course this is dependent on how fast your network is and how large and how many files you created / changed.

Shane
see&see

Post by see&see »

My shop is not close enough to the house for a practical NAS between computers. As others have said the solution is Dropbox. I can access it from anywhere, even when I'm on vacation across the water.. Dropbox works for me everywhere..
You marry into the PlasmaCam family and must accept the fact your software and hardware are proprietary. It's a for better or for worse engagement with overwhelming security. PlasmaCam controls the computer, table, hardware to their advantage IMO. :x
KIDTech
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by KIDTech »

A heads up for what I chose to do, I really appreciate all the help. NAS4Free using an old desktop I had laying around, so basically I built a server/NAS attached to my router and use open source NAS software that it boots up on. Will follow up with how it is when it is up and running a while. I went this route because well I already had everything I needed to try it and it was free. A little time to setup but I can remote into it from home and still work. If it works like claimed and I stick with it I will likely upgrade to 32 gb RAM, 4 TB system.
DIY 5x10 v rail, rack and pinion
Gecko g540
Pm65 - aka game changer
Longevity ForceCut 42i is sitting on the shelf
Proma THC
ACAD, SheetCam, Mach3
Millermatic 211
NEW HORSE IN THE STABLE:
4'x8' LDR downdraft w/a scribe
Milltronics Partner 2 CNC mill
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

most new routers have usb ports that you can plug a thumb drive or harddrive into to make affordable network drive
plug a 64Gb thumb drive in and your good to go

mach3 recommends not being connected to a network, but i think most of us do for the convenience
i email files to myself from home to the shop

one thing about being networked to a company network...
winXP being no longer supported by microsoft means no security updates
if you surf the web don't do it on a XP machine or limit yourself to trusted sites
bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!

Return to “General Discussion”