Shaking Table slats

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
TMC
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Shaking Table slats

Post by TMC »

I have a water tray on my SuperB. It's a water tray built by Dynatorch. I have been chasing unacceptable squiggles in my thinner material (1/8" and less) when cutting after the the machine makes a sharp turn in a corner. The squiggle shows for about 3/16" then straightens out. Fighting with this since the table was new in August, I think I finally just realized it's being caused by my slats shaking on the table.
Have any other Dynatorch operators have this similar problem and if so what have you done to improve it?
By the way I love working with my Dynatorch and Am really glad I went with them! I'm starting to feel like I'm finally getting her dialed in.
Talbot Metal Crafting
DynaTorch 4x4 SuperB
Hypertherm PMX 85
Corel 7X
Solid Edge
SheetCam

Easton, Maryland
WyoGreen
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Shaking Table slats

Post by WyoGreen »

While I don't have a dynatorch, I do have a water table with slats. I have 3 slat holders in the bottom of the tray, one at each end and one in the middle. When I install my slats in the holders slots, I offset the slats in the middle holder slots by a slot or two. This makes the slats "C" shaped, with the tension of being offset keeping the slats from shaking.

Hope that all makes some sense, Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Unlike a downdraft table where the slats become a part of the table, with a water table you want to do as Steve above suggested & also make sure your slats as a unit or tied to the tray. . . The other part is make sure the tray is also secured to the table base . . . and make sure the table is secured to the floor . . . at least laterally . . .

When I first got my table I was a little disappointed that my MAX cutting speed was 200 IPM. I learned quickly that to do artsy type stuff that anything over 150 IPM was just creating more work for me on the finishing end. Also was making my table work harder for zero gain.

Does this happen when you run 150 IPM?

That superB will run as fast or faster than a PlasmaCAM.

With Plasma tables you have choices. Pick (2)

SPEED
ACCURACY
PRICE
Our price range!

The HYPERTHERM LOW SPEED CUT CHARTS ARE YOUR FRIEND ! ! !

Steve
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
illusivedf
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by illusivedf »

My table has the slat shake as well. I have just been waiting to replace my slats (which I really should soon) and, I am going to finally put the center support to bow the slats on mine. Finally starting to make my table nice after just dealing with it for years lol.
Owner at Illusive Design & Fabrications
http://www.illusivefabrications.com
Air Ride Suspension Parts
Metal Fabrication
Dynatorch 4x8 with Hypertherm 1250
Vinyl Decals & Signs
Powder Coating
btburn
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by btburn »

I have a 4x4 super bee and I would guess that it is the higher speed creating the issues vs. the slats. Some of the recommended speeds get up there for the thinner stuff but like Steve said I run slower on the detailed stuff to get a better cut and not shake your gantry excessively.
On detailed artsy stuff I top it out at 150 just to get better detail and I deal with the extra dross as a side effect. On large straight and gentle curves I run at recommended speeds with no problems at all.
I plan on designing a different set of slats as we'll so they aren't perpendicular to each other . I'll burn my stock ones up a lot more first though.
Dynatorch 4x4 SuperBee, Powermax 65, Quincy QT-54, Snap On MM250SL, Thermal Arc Arcmaster 185, Corel Draw X7 and a messy garage.
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

btburn wrote:I have a 4x4 super bee and I would guess that it is the higher speed creating the issues vs. the slats. Some of the recommended speeds get up there for the thinner stuff but like Steve said I run slower on the detailed stuff to get a better cut and not shake your gantry excessively.
On detailed artsy stuff I top it out at 150 just to get better detail and I deal with the extra dross as a side effect. On large straight and gentle curves I run at recommended speeds with no problems at all.
I plan on designing a different set of slats as we'll so they aren't perpendicular to each other . I'll burn my stock ones up a lot more first though.
If you play with your settings you can reduce your dross a great deal . . . speed, voltage, cut height, delay,etc.

Slow speed cut charts are all I use for gauge material . . .
Steve
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
TMC
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by TMC »

it's not my cut speeds. I can see and feel the slats shaking at 120ipm and I can hear them shaking at 150ipm. I will call Dynatorch and see what feedback they have had and see what recommendations they have made.
Talbot Metal Crafting
DynaTorch 4x4 SuperB
Hypertherm PMX 85
Corel 7X
Solid Edge
SheetCam

Easton, Maryland
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

TMC wrote:it's not my cut speeds. I can see and feel the slats shaking at 120ipm and I can hear them shaking at 150ipm. I will call Dynatorch and see what feedback they have had and see what recommendations they have made.
Does the SuperB have a center support that forces all the slats to stay under tension?

I know my slats are tight because of that.

You want your slats to be in an arc shape.

Post a picture from a top view of your table with gantry parked.

Steve :D
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
TMC
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by TMC »

It does have a center support however there is still quite a bit of play in the slats. I've done a few things to try to improve it however still not acceptable. :roll:
Talbot Metal Crafting
DynaTorch 4x4 SuperB
Hypertherm PMX 85
Corel 7X
Solid Edge
SheetCam

Easton, Maryland
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Does the center support cause all your slats to bow?

Steve
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
btburn
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by btburn »

CNCCAJUN wrote:Does the center support cause all your slats to bow?

Steve
They are straight and parallel no arc or tension.
Dynatorch 4x4 SuperBee, Powermax 65, Quincy QT-54, Snap On MM250SL, Thermal Arc Arcmaster 185, Corel Draw X7 and a messy garage.
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

btburn wrote:
CNCCAJUN wrote:Does the center support cause all your slats to bow?

Steve
They are straight and parallel no arc or tension.

I would cut 6" off the center piece, slide it forward, secure it, reinstall slats with centers offset.

It does not matter that you lose center support in the gantry parking area for those 6"s.. Quick fix to see if it will eliminate shaking . . . :D

Steve
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
TMC
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by TMC »

Steve, Good Idea, I'm not sure I will get much flex without lengthening the slats though. I will see what movement I can get. :|
Talbot Metal Crafting
DynaTorch 4x4 SuperB
Hypertherm PMX 85
Corel 7X
Solid Edge
SheetCam

Easton, Maryland
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

see if you can curve your slats by using the same outer slots, but move the center to the next available slot
curved slats don't move and they prevent a straight cut from blowing the whole top of a slat off

bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

_Ogre wrote:see if you can curve your slats by using the same outer slots, but move the center to the next available slot
curved slats don't move and they prevent a straight cut from blowing the whole top of a slat off

What he said . . . That is pretty much how my table is setup . . .

Steve :D
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
MajorMetal
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by MajorMetal »

CNCCAJUN wrote:Unlike a downdraft table where the slats become a part of the table, with a water table you want to do as Steve above suggested & also make sure your slats as a unit or tied to the tray. . . The other part is make sure the tray is also secured to the table base . . . and make sure the table is secured to the floor . . . at least laterally . . .

When I first got my table I was a little disappointed that my MAX cutting speed was 200 IPM. I learned quickly that to do artsy type stuff that anything over 150 IPM was just creating more work for me on the finishing end. Also was making my table work harder for zero gain.

Does this happen when you run 150 IPM?

That superB will run as fast or faster than a PlasmaCAM.

With Plasma tables you have choices. Pick (2)

SPEED
ACCURACY
PRICE
Our price range!

The HYPERTHERM LOW SPEED CUT CHARTS ARE YOUR FRIEND ! ! !

Steve

I get these squiggly lines tho I don't believe it has anything to do with the slats. If I slow my cut speeds down on real tight spaces I am able to eliminate these squiggly lines. My slats have always been straight and I have never arched them. I may have to try that.

And where do you find the Hypertherm low speed cut chart you speak of? I agree low speed is your friend on the arty stuff.
MajorMetal
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by MajorMetal »

Anybody know what happened to Steve (CNC Cajun)? I talked to him on the phone before he got his table because he wanted my opinion on Dynatorch. Sent him a PM a few months ago and never heard back. He hasn't been on here in months. Hopefully all is well for him.
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

MajorMetal wrote:Anybody know what happened to Steve (CNC Cajun)? I talked to him on the phone before he got his table because he wanted my opinion on Dynatorch. Sent him a PM a few months ago and never heard back. He hasn't been on here in months. Hopefully all is well for him.
http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.p ... 6095&hilit
TMC
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by TMC »

He unfortunately and unexpectedly passed away recently. He is truely missed here.
Talbot Metal Crafting
DynaTorch 4x4 SuperB
Hypertherm PMX 85
Corel 7X
Solid Edge
SheetCam

Easton, Maryland
MajorMetal
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by MajorMetal »

I was afraid that may have happened. He seemed like a great guy.

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”