Ordered my Dynatorch Super B

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
btburn
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Ordered my Dynatorch Super B

Post by btburn »

I put my deposit on my Dynatorch 4x4 Super B, I'll be running my Miler Spectrum 875 on it.
I was torn between ArcLight and Dynatorch. Dynatorch won even though it's costing me a bit more than I had in my budget and Ric sold me on it from the start.
I still have to pick out a new laptop and learn how to run everything. I need to be able to work on it in the house so I can keep an eye on the kids then go to the garage when everything is ready.
I'm new to CNC so I'll be learning from scratch.
Any recommendations for a new guy?
What software are you guys running to edit images? I was going to try InkScape since it's free or Corel Draw if it's better.
I want to be able to snap a picture and "trace" it.
Thanks
JJsCustomDesigns
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Ordered my Dynatorch Super B

Post by JJsCustomDesigns »

No matter what program you chose, your gonna have a learning curve with em. Nothing that i have found is a snap a pic and trace it. On some of my more detailed projects ive spent up to 3-4 hours drawing files. I use Coreldraw and im satisfied with it, now that i know how to use it.
"There are bigger things planned for you in your life, be patient"

Im on the prowl for a good used Hypertherm Plasma with hand torch.
PM me with details
Thanks
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

You obviously want to spend as little on everything since you just made a large purchase.
I tried Inkscape but prefer Corel Draw.
Corel Draw is the only program I could learn quickly with no manual. You can download a trial version of it and a lot of other programs out there, then settle on the one you like the most.

I personally puruchased a USED computer off eBay for like $250 for everything. Laptop? Don't you have to run a parallel port? Generally it's Dell desktops that these are most readily available. Purchase a used deslktop with the OS of their suggestion, and parallel port if needed, and you could apply that savings to a CAD program.

There are a few out there, like TurboCAD, that I didn't try.

I actually use Corel Draw and DesignEdge (PlasmaCAM) because while overall I like Corel Draw a lot better, there are a few things Design Edge is better at.
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

If you want to invest the time and effort to learn a real CAD program you can download Draftsight.

It is free & also a perfect 100% clone of AutoCAD LT.

I have bothe AutoCAD LT 2014 & Draftsight and can not tell the difference.

I realize there is a learning curve. I am lucky that I have drawn 2D in AutoCAD for over 20 years.
But it is really not that hard to learn. I need to lear Corel Draw

Steve
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

btburn wrote:I put my deposit on my Dynatorch 4x4 Super B, I'll be running my Miler Spectrum 875 on it.
I was torn between ArcLight and Dynatorch. Dynatorch won even though it's costing me a bit more than I had in my budget and Ric sold me on it from the start.
I still have to pick out a new laptop and learn how to run everything. I need to be able to work on it in the house so I can keep an eye on the kids then go to the garage when everything is ready.
I'm new to CNC so I'll be learning from scratch.
Any recommendations for a new guy?
What software are you guys running to edit images? I was going to try InkScape since it's free or Corel Draw if it's better.
I want to be able to snap a picture and "trace" it.
Thanks
What are you looking at as far as delivery? I have had mine for 3 weeks. Still not up and running. Nothing to do with the table, I have so much stuff left to do in the shop I did not think about. More electrical, airlines, exhaust fan, & the list goes on. I hope the actual learning curve is short . . .lol lol
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
btburn
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by btburn »

I put the deposit down last week 4/15 so Hopefully I'll have it in the garage by the end of May. I'll check out Draftsight. The DynaTorch just needs 2 USB ports and I was told a laptop will be fine. I plan on it taking a while to learn but am looking for suggestions from everyone and any preferred programs. I've got a co-worker that has a plasmacam that I can get some help from for the basics.
calsdad
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by calsdad »

Just joined up here because I see a few of you guys are getting the Dynatorch Super B table.

I'm VERY seriously thinking of getting one. Already talked to Rick and got the quote. Ordered an air dryer, got a new compressor coming - and working on finishing out some stuff in the shop to get setup for it. What swayed you towards the Dynatorch over the other ones?
calsdad
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by calsdad »

What kind of turnaround was Dynatorch giving - how long between when you put the deposit down and they could get you the table?
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

My turn around time was a little longer than quoted.

But I know for a fact that their delivery is based on the number of machines ahead of you.

Besides, what is the hurry, unless you already have a CNC Plasma Table and are upgrading, you have A LOT of stuff to get done before it gets there.

I received my table March 31 this year. . . It is in place, leveled. . . now the table is waiting on me to complete the air system & exhaust system. Then I can fire up the table. I am one man show with zero help beyond the wife so everything goes slow.

Steve
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
calsdad
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by calsdad »

I'm in a very similar situation. Im still finishing out the barn it will be going into, working on the electrical - etc. I'll be receiving an air dryer today - and I've got a compressor on order.

I was just curious how long it took from the point you put in the order until you actually received the table so I could plan around it a little. I'm a one man band too (besides the wife).

Why did you pick the XLS over the Super B? I've only really looked at the SuperB - haven't really compared it to the XLS at all. Was there much of a price difference?
btburn
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by btburn »

I picked the Super B because it was in my budget, Kinda. I went over my budget by a couple grand but decided on the Dynatorch. Ric told me about 4 weeks before it ships from my deposit. I'm not really worried about the delivery time right now. I've got plenty to do before it comes and my work schedule got busy so as long as it gets here in one piece I'll be happy.
calsdad
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by calsdad »

Thanks!. I'm planning on putting down a deposit in the next few weeks. I've got a ton of work to do also to get my barn setup for this. Once I get the table I'll still have to build a water table and/or a downdraft setup. Haven't quite made my mind up which way to go on that yet. Good to know I can plan around it taking 4 weeks more or less for the table to arrive.
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

I think the SuperB is a little faster and will deliver closer to quoted date.

I don't know that for sure, but I was under that impression hanging around Dynatorch's shop the day I drove over to place my order. I saw at least 1/2 a dozen SuperBs going at one time, where as the XLS & XLR8 Series I think are a little more cumbersome to handle & build. This is just my opinion. I know they are real picky about everything they build. You would have to go there and meet their crew. I think just about anyone of them would be capable of building a plasma table from the ground up. I am the kind of the customer with many, many questions & I did not get one "dumb look" or a single hesitation prior to an answer from anyone. Not many places will let you roam freely in their shop with their crew asking questions.

As to my actual delivery date versus quoted date. It would not be fair to DYNATORCH to quote my delivery time. I was in contact with Ric, Leon or Russel at least once a week asking for info or minor changes to accommodate my situation. i.e. I need a single exhaust exit hole on the back of my air handler versus their normal two holes. Once I got to see how their air handler is designed you might say my appreciation grew for what "I THOUGHT" would be a minor change.

Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll be ready to power up . . .even more so hoping for few or no glitches . . . at least none caused by anything other than me.
Steve
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
btburn
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by btburn »

I checked with Ric and he said it was going to ship next week but I asked if he could delay it a week because my work schedule got insane. So right now order time looks to be around 3.5 to 4 weeks then ship time depending on where you live that could be a day to a few days.
They have been great to deal and I can't wait to get up and running.
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Did you take delivery yet?

If you have and already up and running you are going to make me really jealous . . .OK,embarrassed . . . :oops:

I got mine March 31st.

Still readying shop . . . :(

Steve
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
calsdad
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by calsdad »

If you guys get your tables going you've got to post some updates.

I sent email to Ric asking about the XLS table - and he got back to me within a day. I'm glad I asked just so I know (now) what the difference is - but I think if I go with Dynatorch it will be the Super B . The XLS is going out of my price range.

The freight company came by today with my new compressor in the back of their truck - too bad they didn't call first like I asked them too because I wasn't prepared to get it off the back of the truck for them. I'll have to get over to their terminal and pick it up tomorrow night or Wednesday. I already got an air dryer a few weeks back - and I've been working on getting the shop cleaned up and ready to take in the table - probably still have a few weeks of work to get that all done.

I'm probably still 2-3 weeks away from being ready to pull the trigger on getting the table - you guys should be up and running before then!.
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

[quote="I'm probably still 2-3 weeks away from being ready to pull the trigger on getting the table - you guys should be up and running before then!.[/quote]

I sure hope you are right on the up and running . . . If you want to do it right there is a LOT TO DO getting your shop setup from scratch . . . ! ! ! !
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
calsdad
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by calsdad »

Just out of curiousity - what have you had to do to get your shop setup to get the table up and running?
wilber
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by wilber »

For me I had to upgrade electric panel, upgrade air compressor, buy air dryer, and the hardest part is make room..
*** DynaTorch Super B 4x8 with a Hypertherm Powermax 65****
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

calsdad wrote:Just out of curiousity - what have you had to do to get your shop setup to get the table up and running?
Build shop from scratch . . .and everything else you need to do . .

Steve
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
calsdad
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by calsdad »

CNCCAJUN wrote:
calsdad wrote:Just out of curiousity - what have you had to do to get your shop setup to get the table up and running?
Build shop from scratch . . .and everything else you need to do . .

Steve
Ok - you have me beat there. I've got a barn built - I just have to finish the inside off so it's actually useable - get electricity run - and order all the supporting equipment.

I've been in the process of buying equipment over the last year so I can do more metalwork. Most of my equipment was just not up to the tasks I wanted to do. I picked up a BuildPro welding table last year and a Miller 350P MIG welder. Just got an outlet installed in the house to run it off of last week. So for now - I run a big ass extension cord from the house to the barn when I want to use the welder. I've already been able to get 3 different projects done using the table and the welder in the last week - that likely would have taken me weeks to do with my old equipment.

So now I'm getting work done - while trying to get all the work done to finish off the barn around that. And I've got to make space - because in the last couple of years since I finished off the structure - it seems like "stuff" has taken over all the inside space. Amazing how that happens.

I did get a refrigerated air dryer in a few weeks back - and I'll be going to pick up the compressor tomorrow night. So I've got most of the support pieces - now I just have to finish off all the details.
btburn
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by btburn »

My Super B gets delivered today 6/18/14. Then it will sit in the garage over the weekend until I get back from camping.
Dynatorch 4x4 SuperBee, Powermax 65, Quincy QT-54, Snap On MM250SL, Thermal Arc Arcmaster 185, Corel Draw X7 and a messy garage.
btburn
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by btburn »

Well, I ditched work and lost a day of pay just to have UPS Freight say that they were having trouble figuring out how to deliver it to my house and get it off the truck. I'm out of town until sunday so hopefully I'll have better news next week.
Dynatorch 4x4 SuperBee, Powermax 65, Quincy QT-54, Snap On MM250SL, Thermal Arc Arcmaster 185, Corel Draw X7 and a messy garage.
calsdad
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by calsdad »

I don't know what it is with freight companies - they don't seem to be able to follow directions. I have a truck and a trailer - so what I usually do is tell the shipper to instruct the freight company to hold it at their terminal - then I go to the terminal - pick the thing up - and bring it home. With the trailer I can just back right up to the garage and unload. Even though I have to drive - I think that's easier than horsing something down my driveway.

I picked my new compressor tonite. Got a Champion PL series 7.5HP 80 gallon. Pretty sure that will give me all the air I will ever need. Had a little bit of a hard time getting it off the trailer - almost tipped it over on my myself but luckily disaster was averted.

Why is UPS having a hard time figuring out how to deliver it? Too big for the liftgate on their trailer?

If they can't figure out a solution - and you have access to a truck to pull it - maybe think about getting a U-Haul trailer and just pick the thing up yourself?
btburn
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by btburn »

First they said that the lift gate truck was broken, then I was told that that was a white lie and that is was too large for the lift gate. All this after they had it sitting there for a day and a half and the knew how large it was. Hopefully they have it figured out tomorrow.

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”