Need Guidance

Share, browse, & download dxf, svg, or other vector based designs. If you take be sure to give back.
Robdnorm
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Need Guidance

Post by Robdnorm »

I am a high school agriculture teacher and have been recently been moved into a welding/manufacturing area at my high school. We have recently purchased a PlasmaCam 4x4 table. I have been able to download files and make some initial signs. However, my principle has now asked that we make a sign with our school logo. Is there someone that I can pay to have this converted into a file that will allow me to download and cut? What does this typically cost? I appreciate any and all help!

BanksAg
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Need Guidance

Post by BanksAg »

Here's a start for you. If you have a higher quality image, or even a vector file (which someone at the school should have) this could easily be made better; a quick trace of this picture came out pretty rough. This is one that would probably work out better as a multi-layer sign; there would need to be a lot of bridging of parts in order to make this fully cuttable as one piece.

My students and I use Inkscape for most of our vectorizing (we use other programs for most of our drawing). It's a free program, and there are some really great tutorials out there (like these ones from Arclight Dynamics: https://arclightcnc.com/inkscape-tutorials/). I've found that my students picked up on Inkscape fairly quick, and some even went home and downloaded it so they could work on projects at home.

Tim
Gibson County.dxf

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Tim Eggleston
Banks High School
Banks, OR

Arc Pro 4800
PowerMax 45XP
Mach 3, SheetCam
Inkscape, Rhino 3D
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

I took Tim's DXF and cleaned up some of the nodes - saved it in PCM format for you. As he said, it will need a decent amount of work to clean it up. This would probably come out best with a hand trace from beginning to end. I'd offer to do it but just don't have the time right now. Julie Everett would be a great choice, you can email her at dxf@robinhillmachine.com if you'd like.

I teach workshops on PlasmaCAM Design Edge and will be in Nashville in February if you're interested! My contact info is in my signature.
Gibson County.pcm

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Robdnorm
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Robdnorm »

Thank you both for your quick responses! I will email Julie as well. I will see if I can get it approved to attend the Nashville training. My students are picking this up at a faster rate than I am at this point. It is a learning experience to say the least!

Return to “DXF & SVG Plasma Cutting File Sharing Forum”