Texas Duck Fire Pit

Share, browse, & download dxf, svg, or other vector based designs. If you take be sure to give back.
thatboystevo
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Texas Duck Fire Pit

Post by thatboystevo »

good morning i was wondering if i could get some help converting this svg file to dxf. when i save as dxf in inkscape it comes out all screwed up the circles have points instead of smooth arcs. does anyone know how to get a better dxf from inkscape? usuailly i just use svg but i need it for my machine at work and pronest only accepts dxf i belive. here is the file
thanks stevo

txduckfirepit.svg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

ovrrdrive
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: convert svg to dxf

Post by ovrrdrive »

Try this one... I did it in Inkscape first to see how it would look and it looks fine to me.
txduckfirepit.dxf

ovrrdrive
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ovrrdrive »

It might matter what program you're using to view it in too. I opened it in QCAD and it looks great. In Draftsight the arcs around the duck head are all straight. I guess what matters is how your CAM software sees it. Sheetcam sees it perfectly.
thatboystevo
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by thatboystevo »

I use autocad at work and pronest , it opens the same as the way mine did

RobinHillMachine
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by RobinHillMachine »

Check what autocad R setting you use to save as a dxf. It's likely you were using a R 5 lower setting. By using a R 11 or higher that issue should be resolved.
Julie's the name, DXF is the game. http://robinhillmachine.com
Email DXF@robinhillmachine.com
thatboystevo
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by thatboystevo »

I do not think there is an option for changing the dxf version in Inkscape .. I will check though
ovrrdrive
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ovrrdrive »

That's better than it looks in draftsight but still not as good as qcad... Here's what I'm seeing. Draftsight on left, then qcad, then sheetcam. It looks fine in the right two pictures. I haven't been playign around with these long enough to know what is causing it. I can say that from the way it looks in sheetcam though that I wouldn't hesitate to cut it. I just don't know why some programs aren't picking up the arcs. It has to be the wrong dxf format.
txduck.jpg

thatboystevo
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by thatboystevo »

I get the first pic when I open the dxf in pronest, I don't have any autocad skills which is why I use Inkscape at home . And our drafts man at work won't do any of this for me or help lol
ovrrdrive
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ovrrdrive »

It's really weird. I tried a few different formats and from a few different programs and they all look ok in QCAD but if I open in draftsight I get the flat arcs. I did see something that also spanned a few programs too that might at least help you get it right though. If you open it and click an arc and adjust one of the nodes out, then hit Ctrl+Z to undo it usually "remembers" that it's an arc and is fixed from there. See if you can do that in acad and then save it and see if it will view properly in pronest. I don't have a copy of acad so I can't try that.

You can also download QCAD for free and use it to convert to and from svg. I think that was the reason I installed it in the first place. It goes both ways too and seems liek it's better quality than inkscape or draftsight.
thatboystevo
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by thatboystevo »

ovrrdrive wrote:It's really weird. I tried a few different formats and from a few different programs and they all look ok in QCAD but if I open in draftsight I get the flat arcs. I did see something that also spanned a few programs too that might at least help you get it right though. If you open it and click an arc and adjust one of the nodes out, then hit Ctrl+Z to undo it usually "remembers" that it's an arc and is fixed from there. See if you can do that in acad and then save it and see if it will view properly in pronest. I don't have a copy of acad so I can't try that.

You can also download QCAD for free and use it to convert to and from svg. I think that was the reason I installed it in the first place. It goes both ways too and seems liek it's better quality than inkscape or draftsight.

Well that little trick worked out after a bunch of dragging and ctrl z got it all lined out lol . Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions
ovrrdrive
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ovrrdrive »

Wasn't that weird?

It must be something inkscape is doing wrong that made it do that. Hopefully fixing it and resaving it in acad will do the trick for you.

I wish I could say I figured that out due to my vast knowledge but naw, I stumbled onto it. lol
ovrrdrive
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ovrrdrive »

I found a fix for this and figured I'd put it here in case anyone else (or myself after I forget it) sees this behavior opening files where the curves all turn to straight lines. Type in viewres at the prompt an set it to 20000. I can confirm this worked in draftsight. It refreshed the drawing and everything turned back to curves. In draftsight I just typed viewres 'enter', then it asked if I wanted fast zooms I said sure, then it asked for the setting which I put in 20000 for. That's it.
plasmapros
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Texas Duck Fire Pit

Post by plasmapros »

Cool fire pit design, thanks for the share!
thatboystevo
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Texas Duck Fire Pit

Post by thatboystevo »

Totally forgot about This post too lol. I did get it cut came out pretty good

BAR M
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BAR M »

nice one. Since I live in NM, I can't cut it like it is due to threat of severe penalties.
RDrifter
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by RDrifter »

Nice Design Thanks

Return to “DXF & SVG Plasma Cutting File Sharing Forum”