It is currently Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:40 pm

what program would i use to convert metric to in on afile

If you are looking for help with a file conversion please post it here rather than in the file sharing forums.
radicalrescue
Elite Contributing Member

what program would i use to convert metric to in on afile

Postby radicalrescue » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:04 pm

i found these on line free to down load but they are in metric an i an am having a hard time converting to inch any help or ideals how to
Attachments
Mattrack_frame.pdf
(32.84 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Mattrack_A-frame_arms.pdf
(29.91 KiB) Downloaded 17 times

muzza

Re: what program would i use to convert metric to in on afile

Postby muzza » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:34 pm

I downloaded one to have a look and these appear to be dimensional design drawing which you would use to draw the parts in CAD.
Not sure what CAD program you use but if it is Coreldraw you can open a project and go into "Layout" and select "Page setup" , change the units to millimetre, draw it and then you can either go back into page setup and change to inches to put the drawing in inches or when you export to dxf or svg you can select inches as the option.

Or you could be like the rest of the world and work in metric ;) :o :lol:
Murray

ovrrdrive

Postby ovrrdrive » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:58 am

If you're redrawing it yourself using their measurements you can just use google to convert.

Like so: https://www.google.com/search?q=150mm+t ... e&ie=UTF-8

radicalrescue

Postby radicalrescue » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:42 am

thanks muzza i am using a program vcarve pro an aspire 3.0 it came with my 4x8 router 6 years ago an my 4x8 tracker pro plasma table crashed an i could only recover cut&command and i am to old to learn a new soft ware ..Or ..and i like to like... the rest of the world and work in metric an i am one of the not so gifted ;) :o :lol:

radicalrescue

Postby radicalrescue » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:47 am

thanks ovrrdrive i found one something like that so i guess ill chicken peck my way through it an thanks for the replys from all

Larry83301

Postby Larry83301 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:33 am

Depending on how close you need to be just use .03937 or .04 to convert from MM to INCH or to convert CM to inch just move the decimal one place to the left .3937 . Example --- 7mm X .03937 = 0.27559" --- 7cm X .3937 = 2.7559" , 7mm X .04 = .28 So it depends on just how close you need to be what you can use. If you want to be REAL close you can use .039370079 but with plasma cutting that is not necessary ( I worked in aerospace). You can change the whole drawing from metric to inch real fast if you just use the scaling function of your program, just scale it by the appropriate number and the whole drawing will be in inches. This works great when you get a file that was done in metric, just select all of the file and scale it. :D :D :D

Larry

radicalrescue

Postby radicalrescue » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:44 pm

larry83301 thanks for the reply ,,i herd that befor but... what would i scale it to in % up or down ...... its not no space ship

Larry83301

Postby Larry83301 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:22 pm

radicalrescue wrote:larry83301 thanks for the reply ,,i herd that befor but... what would i scale it to in % up or down ...... its not no space ship

If it is an ART piece that you need to convert from metric to inches, I just multiply by .4 if it was CM and .04 if it was in MM, that will get you real close to the size it was drawn. If I'm not sure I just use .4 and measure across the part and see if it the size I want, if it's not the size I want then I just scale it to the size I want. :D

Larry

radicalrescue

Postby radicalrescue » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:09 am

thanks Larry83301 ill try that an see.. these are only going to be a set of tracks for my buggies fl3asr search & rescue team thanks... again

Return to “File Conversion Help Wanted”