It is currently Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:24 pm

Software suggestions?

If you are looking for help with a file conversion please post it here rather than in the file sharing forums.
KtC

Software suggestions?

Postby KtC » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:38 pm

Hiya all!

was just wondering what software everybody uses for converting to DXF, and making traces of images?

all i really have used is plasmacam converting from .bmp to dxf, ive had ok luck, but its not as userfriendly as id like. some of you guys make it look so easy, id like to learn!

hoping the photoshop class i just signed up for at the local community college gives me some pointers, but i know thats not gonna be the bulk of the class lol

acourtjester
Elite Contributing Member
Elite Contributing Member

Re: Software suggestions?

Postby acourtjester » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:22 pm

I like what I can do with Inkscape, tracing is flexible and after converting to vector being able to separate elements and scale is a plus.
There are other packages but you cannot beat the price. Many here use Corel draw or Adobe Illustrator and they are very powerful packages.
I sure all have large numbers of tutorials on the web that help to learn each one, that is how I learned Inkscape.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
CandCNC DTHC-IV & Feather Touch
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PM 256 tig

tcaudle

Re: Software suggestions?

Postby tcaudle » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:35 pm

KtC wrote:all i really have used is plasmacam converting from .bmp to dxf, ive had ok luck, but its not as userfriendly as id like. some of you guys make it look so easy, id like to learn!

I am not sure "user friendly and "converting" from a bitmap to a vector should ne in the same sentence. They all work pretty good on line art and cleaned up high contrast images (often of a vector design), but the very best converter will give you laughable results on low resolution scans or from a photo.

That whole "scan and cut" thing is a marketing tool

Return to “File Conversion Help Wanted”