an easy way to draw a screan grid pattern

BobCAD related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
ggeh
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

an easy way to draw a screan grid pattern

Post by ggeh »

I have bobcad v27 and I drew up a screen/rock guard for my skid steer window. The only way I new to do this was making parallel lines and then trimming the parts I didn't want, took for ever there has to be a better way to make a grid like this using bobcad.
Thanks Gary
Attachments
IMG_1847[1].JPG
IMG_1844[1].JPG
IMG_1845[1].JPG
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: an easy way to draw a screan grid pattern

Post by djreiswig »

Im not familiar with bobcad, but in DraftSight there is a pattern tool that would do this.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
ggeh

Post by ggeh »

djreiswig wrote:Im not familiar with bobcad, but in DraftSight there is a pattern tool that would do this.

Hi djreiswig

I downloaded Draftsight , can you walk me through how to do this?

Thanks,
Gary
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Draw a horizontal or vertical line the length you want. Click Modify, pattern. Select type linear, click select entities. Click on the line and hit enter. Set the number and spacing you desire. Leave the angle at 0 if you want the lines at 90 degrees. You can preview to see what it will look like.
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

I guess it would be better to draw one of your squares and pattern it horizontal and vertical. Then you shouldn't have to do much trimming.
C&CNC EtherCut
Hypertherm PM65
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

djreiswig wrote:I guess it would be better to draw one of your squares and pattern it horizontal and vertical. Then you shouldn't have to do much trimming.
This is exactly how I would have done it. Not sure what the tool is called in BobCad or Draftsight, but in AutoCAD it's called 'Array'. You could have drawn the center square and arrayed it to the right and up. Then mirror the array down. Then mirror the new large array to the left. Trim up the squares around the perimeter and you're done. 15 mins tops. 8-)
Steve

Homebrewed plasma table in the works, NSK linear rails, 3.2:1 belt reduction, CandCNC Plazpak 1A with DTHCIV Ethercut, Hypertherm 85, CommandCNC and SheetCAM
Click here for build post
ggeh

Post by ggeh »

djreiswig wrote:Draw a horizontal or vertical line the length you want. Click Modify, pattern. Select type linear, click select entities. Click on the line and hit enter. Set the number and spacing you desire. Leave the angle at 0 if you want the lines at 90 degrees. You can preview to see what it will look like.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to help me out. I haven't had a chance to try it yet but will when I get some free time. I also liked your video on cutting 3/4 at 65 amps. I cut some at 80 amps and 1/2inch near the end it didnt cut though all the way not sure why. But thanks for all your help, Gary
ggeh

Post by ggeh »

Simko wrote:
djreiswig wrote:I guess it would be better to draw one of your squares and pattern it horizontal and vertical. Then you shouldn't have to do much trimming.
This is exactly how I would have done it. Not sure what the tool is called in BobCad or Draftsight, but in AutoCAD it's called 'Array'. You could have drawn the center square and arrayed it to the right and up. Then mirror the array down. Then mirror the new large array to the left. Trim up the squares around the perimeter and you're done. 15 mins tops. 8-)

Thanks Simko I don't know if bobcad has an array icon, I learned on bobcad because that's what my plasma table came with. It seems like bobcad has a lot of functions for 3d mill and lathe which I do not have and the other cad programs you would think would be pretty much similar but in my eyes their not. I also looked on youtube for what I was asking about in bobcad but had no luck.
Hey thanks for taking the time and your help, Gary

Return to “BobCAD”