Arclight motors.

Arclight Hardware discussion forum.
Brew Worx
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Arclight motors.

Post by Brew Worx »

So guys,

I first want to mention how much information is here on the spider. Seems like a good family of plasma folks.

I am looking to buy a table very soon. My first pick has competition as I keep reading more. Arclight seems to offer a good deal here. I notice allot of contributers here have Arclight tables.

Looking at the price comparison of PlasmaCAM and Arclight, it seems that there is more for the money with Arc.

My question is about the motors. DOES Arclight have Steppers making it possible to provide a pc and more software? I have not seen the specs saying one or the other. I am a robot guy. Steppers nmake me nervous.

If so, is this an issue? On a mill, it would be.

any thoughts? :mrgreen:
I Lean
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Arclight motors.

Post by I Lean »

I don't have an Arclight table, but I'm completely happy with the stepper motors on my table. Never have had any issues with them. Any issues I have had (all caused by me) would not have been any different if I'd had servo motors instead.
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Brew Worx wrote:So guys,

I first want to mention how much information is here on the spider. Seems like a good family of plasma folks.

I am looking to buy a table very soon. My first pick has competition as I keep reading more. Arclight seems to offer a good deal here. I notice al lot of contributers here have Arclight tables.

Looking at the price comparison of PlasmaCAM and Arclight, it seems that there is more for the money with Arc.

My question is about the motors. DOES Arclight have Steppers making it possible to provide a pc and more software? I have not seen the specs saying one or the other. I am a robot guy. Steppers nmake me nervous.

If so, is this an issue? On a mill, it would be.

any thoughts? :mrgreen:
Simple advice:

Do not torture yourself with trying to "RE-ENIGINEEER every machine out there in your mind based on reading 100's of post and articles. I did that for over 2 years before I bought a table.
First I struggled with buy vs. build. After realizing this would probably not work for me it was back to who has the best table. Since I had already poisoned my mind with 100's of post and articles it was really confusing. SERVO vs. STEPPER . . . MACH3 vs., WinCNC, Proprietary . . . 4X4 vs. 4X8 . . . Downdraft vs. Water table . . .

Talk with people who have each machine you would consider. Look at the work being produced on all tables.

The reason I chose Dynatorch was because after visiting over a half dozen machines working in full blown industrial settings for anywhere from 5 to 10 years. They were making money. The same can be said for just about all the tables. But I over kill everything . . .so I had to see tables up and running.
In two of the shops I visited they had employees running their Dynatorch I wouldn?t trust with a lawnmower. But yet they were running and producing. Problem free beyond minor operator error . . .

Hope that helps . . .
Steve
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Brew Worx
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Brew Worx »

Thanks Steve and I Lean.
I do tend to over engineer most of what I touch. 20 years as a manufacturing engineer I am am trying to just breathe and focus on a machine that I can just run. I will take a look in the Chi town area for a few shops. I am into making money with this machine. Not purely a hobby

I keep coming back to the Arclight table
for that reason. Runable. Then again I got into this looming at the PlasmaCAM.
jessechop
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by jessechop »

On Dec 31st I ordered my table. It was delivered to me on the evening of 29th of Jan. I took my time on setting it up. I did nothing unless the book told me to do so, I made my first cuts Friday evening. This included running for parts, steel, etc. Plus hooking up my plasma since I opted to not purchase a plasma from AL. Point being, it is very user friendly.

Saturday morning I went out and cut my first part (tool holder), posted it to Facebook and sold 4 of them by the end of the day. This was the first plasma table I had ever run, hell I had ever SEEN in person. The table runs incredibly well. I am a very happy camper thus far

Return to “Arclight Dynamics”