It's been almost a year and I couldn't be happier

Arclight Hardware discussion forum.
ZTFab
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

It's been almost a year and I couldn't be happier

Post by ZTFab »

A little over a year ago I decided to add a CNC plasma table to my shop. I was outsourcing a lot of cutting and knew that I would be able to generate new business by doing it in-house.

I had previous experience running a TM2 table from Torchmate but it was disappointing in many ways. I made a punch list of everything that I wanted/needed my new table to have. Arclight hit every one of those marks as a turn key package and I was even able to add a few accessories for very reasonable prices.

I ordered an ArcPro 9600 running a Hypertherm Powermax 65, Plate marker, Tube cutter, and hand pendant. The machine showed up on time and within an hour of getting it in my shop door I was cutting parts.

I have had a few hiccups here and there but they ultimately were due to my ignorance or oversight. I have learned so much over the last year and spent many hours dialing in the cut settings. I love using Sheetcam and the latest updates have made it 10 times what it was just a year ago.

Scott, you and your team are building a great product and I just wanted to take the time to let you , and anyone else who might be considering buying one, that adding an Arclight machine to my arsenal was the best decision I've made for my business. I purchased another piece of equipment (press brake) from another manufacturer at the exact same time as the CNC table and it was an absolute nightmare. Lies, delays, broken machines, leaking hoses, etc...

If this sounds like a paid advertisement, I apologize. It is not. I spent good, hard earned money on an Arclight table and smile everyday when I open my shop door and see it there, waiting to help make me money. Here are some pics of parts/projects I've cut and built using the table.

Thanks again, Scott!!

- Paul Brinegar
Zero Tolerance Fabrication, Inc.

1/8" Steel

14ga Steel

1/8" 4130 Steel

.050" 5052 Aluminum

Last edited by ZTFab on Tue May 20, 2014 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brand X
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: It's been almost a year and I couldn't be happier

Post by Brand X »

I would like to add to this too. I don't have their table but the you-tube video's are a real handy thing for anyone using SheetCam/Mach 3. I bought a table (another brand) 11 years ago and was a nightmare from day one. To get it even to cut, Les at Sheetcam wrote me a post processor to get me table to somewhat work. Then upgraded the stand alone THC from Candcnc. Then on to the motor drives, Now finally to the basic same software, and hardware (With a different table design.etc..) as the Arc Light.

Guess my point is, I can tell they make a real nice table, and use good software/ hardware on the machines. Just watching the You-tube vids. shows they know the system well, and are a helpful group of People.I would like to see their table in action some day, because I live pretty close by..

Paul,
quality work as always....
ZTFab
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by ZTFab »

Thanks Brand X.

Scott's support is second to none. I feel like a real dolt sometimes when I call with a stupid question but he calmly and quickly guides me through it and shows me the way.

It's nice to see that a company not only builds/sells great products but stands behind them every step of the way.
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

Your parts look great. What are you using to bend them?
ZTFab
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by ZTFab »

Metriccar wrote:Your parts look great. What are you using to bend them?
Thanks. A combination of tools depending on the part(s).

Mainly a press brake and a slip roll.
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

I was referring to the parts in the top 3 pictures, which must have been done with a press brake. Is that a manual press brake? I'm just surprised at the uniformity in the bends. Is that something you could get with one of those H style bottle jack presses? Or is this something else?
ZTFab
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by ZTFab »

Metriccar wrote:I was referring to the parts in the top 3 pictures, which must have been done with a press brake. Is that a manual press brake? I'm just surprised at the uniformity in the bends. Is that something you could get with one of those H style bottle jack presses? Or is this something else?

Those were done on an Hydraulic press brake but I also have a manual brake that is used in my 20ton shop press that would be more than capable of making those bends, just not as fast.
JEd
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by JEd »

Why was the TM2 disappointing? I've got one of the Torchmate growth series table, but I don't have anything to compare it to. Someday I'll want to shop for a larger table.
ZTFab
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by ZTFab »

JEd wrote:Why was the TM2 disappointing? I've got one of the Torchmate growth series table, but I don't have anything to compare it to. Someday I'll want to shop for a larger table.
Let me start this with saying that I have two friends with growth series tables and they are great. I would have bought one but wanted/needed at least a 4x8 cutting area and am glad I have it.

I got the TM2 as the bolt together kit to use in an R&D department that I managed. Assembly went fairly well but I was extremely disappointed in the (lack of) quality in some of the bracketry that had been cut using their own machines. It didn't instill any confidence in what the machine was capable of.

Once the table was assembled I noticed that it was very wobbly, even after multiple attempts at leveling it and re-tightening every bolt/nut, it just plain lacked rigidity as the only bracing is tiny little corner brackets and not actual cross braces.

The gantry is a single motor drive in a "T" configuration. The rack on the drive side faces up and is extremely vulnerable to debris and easily jumps teeth causing the gantry to come out of square, especially since the only tension on the rack and pinion is from the weight of the gantry itself. The opposite side is nothing more than a "follower" with some bearings. Also, there are no homing switches and for a machine that constantly is thrown out of square due to a poor gantry design it's frustrating to say the least.

The company I worked for did not want to spend the extra $3k on the THC which made the machine difficult to use on a lot of the light gauge aluminum products that we developed. I think their THC is ridiculously overpriced.

There were no provisions for a downdraft system or a water table. To me, this is just insane that a company will sell a plasma table with no provisions for dust control....plasma is a nasty process and they know it. It's even mentioned in the literature for the growth series tables yet they do nothing about it on the larger machines!?

The software....I'll just say that it's not for me. I use Solidworks on a daily basis and I hated the TM software. Sheetcam and Mach 3 are insanely better, IMO. To me this is nothing more than a personal preference as I can't stand AutoCad either but I know plenty of people that like/prefer it.

Arclight's machines addressed every single one of these issues like including THC on every machine, not over-charging for accessories, water table as standard equipment, the frame is built like a tank, dual drive gantry with inverted rack drives with an awesome tensioning system to alleviate backlash. Not to mention the customer service is outstanding.

I'm sure there are many other tables on the market that have great features, produce quality parts, and might even be cheaper but Arclight provides a comprehensive package that is a great overall value.

Hope that helps.
JEd
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by JEd »

It does help. It gives me some things to look for when I shop for a larger table eventually. Thanks.
sc6917
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by sc6917 »

Just want to add my two cents, I have had my Arclight 4800 for about a year and a half. I am nothing but pleased with all aspects of the machine and the support that I have received from Scott. I highly recommend them if you are considering or upgrading your CNC plasma table.
Dick Vander Meer
Nampa Idaho
Arclight Dynamics Arcpro 4800
Powermax 65
Brew Worx
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Brew Worx »

HeyPaul,

I wanted to make a quick point. That tig welded part in the photos is just a thing of beauty! Nice work. My day job is for a very large tractor company. There is only one operator in our company in the world that can tig that well. SHE is in Brazil. The rest of the guys (clowns) are no where capable to that.

nice part.
ZTFab
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by ZTFab »

Just wanted to bump this thread as I just passed my 2 year anniversary with my Arclight table.

She is still going strong and making great parts.

dzljon
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by dzljon »

awesome review Paul! I have a TM 2x2 and have already moved away from the torchmate controls also. I can also vouch that TM's customer service sucks, like Paul I have had to call to have help figuring the machine out and they as questions like "didn't you read the manual" with a not so helpful tone, so I decided to get controls from somewhere else that had better service. also if I ever get a place big enuff to get a bigger table I will most likely get an arclight
Craig
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Craig »

Great part Paul, very clean cuts and those welds are amazing they look machine done. Craig Johnson
Craig Johnson

Return to “Arclight Dynamics”