Baileigh 4x4 table

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
southern kustoms
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Baileigh 4x4 table

Post by southern kustoms »

anybody heard anything on the Baileigh tables good or bad,I have a lot of there metal equipment in my shop and I love it just wondering what there tables are like thanks,
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Baileigh 4x4 table

Post by CNCCAJUN »

If you feel you would be OK with stepper motors, why not look at TRACKER . . .?

Somehow I have allowed myself to be convinced that you really want servo motors.

That is why I am still shopping. Can only afford to buy ONCE! :D

Steve
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
plain ol Bill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plain ol Bill »

I have never heard a bad word spoken about Baileigh products.
plain ol Bill
Hypertherm 1250
Duramax machine torch
Corel Draw X6
Sheetcam
Mach3
5 x 10 self built table
Lots of ineptitude
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

I have a few Baliegh products and highly recommend them. They are an awesome company, excellent service, excellent support and excellent products that do exactly what they say they will. Although I haven't had the chance to use one of their plasma tables, after using their other gear I doubt you will be unhappy with it.

Just make sure you get a good plasma to put with it. :)
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

That would be great . . . another table to compare.

I contacted them a couple of times and found it very hard to get "any" tech information, not even something as simple as the operating system used. It is a package machine from overseas & the stateside reps seem to know very little about it from a technical standpoint. My concern is what happens if they decide one day it is no longer a profit maker and drop it from there line. Now I have a foreign built machine, no parts unless I reverse engineer. Try asking the same questions of them that are commonly asked of all the manufacturers we see on this page.

I'm sure that Baileigh Metal Working Machines are excellent, but then they are basically clones of equipment that have been around for decades. So who's plasma table are they cloning.

Personally, I would rather pay $30,000.00 to Ford or GMC for a pick-up truck than a company that decided to get in the pick-up truck business to go along with their farm implement business. If I want to purchase a large ticket item, it will be from someone that can & will answer any question I ask about their product.

Come up with a list of 10 good solid questions, pose them to TrueCut, ShopSabre, Dynatorch, PlasmaCam, or even Tom with C&CNC. Compare those answers to those you get from Baleigh.

My two cents. :D
Steve
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
MountainGoat
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by MountainGoat »

CNCCAJUN wrote:Personally, I would rather pay $30,000.00 to Ford or GMC for a pick-up truck than a company that decided to get in the pick-up truck business to go along with their farm implement business. My two cents. :D
Steve
I'll bet if John Deere built a pick-up truck it would be a pretty good one ;)
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

All I know is if their machines can really produce the parts showing in the thread in the "cut quality" folder in the plasma vs. laser thread I don't see any reason to spend more for a machine that can do less... just look how the parts came out! And these are like $8k machines producing parts that a machine costing twice as much can't seem to do. I've been asking a variety of manufacturers for sample cuts and one leading brand couldn't begin to provide a sample like that.

Having said that, yes, I'd be reluctant because I'm under the impression they don't make the machines themselves and they are rebadged. I go to their website and they make anything from plasma tables to band saws. However they do seem to get good reviews.
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

MountainGoat wrote:
CNCCAJUN wrote:Personally, I would rather pay $30,000.00 to Ford or GMC for a pick-up truck than a company that decided to get in the pick-up truck business to go along with their farm implement business. My two cents. :D
Steve
I'll bet if John Deere built a pick-up truck it would be a pretty good one ;)

Well International Harvester did make trucks and it seems a lot of people did have respect for them. When I do look at various pieces of machinery I do like to look for brands that build bigger equipment selling smaller things (like my Allis-Chalmers forklift) because I think they'd be more likely to be overbuilt. I'm starting to find the similar thing in plasma tables, where high end plasma table manufacturers seem to have more features on their entry level machines.
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

I have a friend that has a very old CNC plasma. This thing is very crude, has a manual dial for height control and warped grating for a table. The software is ancient and only allows for 110 lines of G-Code max per cut....runs on Windows 95.

When I first saw the table, I cringed thinking Oh my, what a piece of ..... Then he showed some of the parts he was cutting out of 3/4" plate and I am still amazed. They are brackets about 12" long with a 3" hole in the middle of one end and a long finger on the other. The cuts looked amazing and something that I would be very satisfied with on my Torchmate table. Very little bevel, lines were sharp and straight with very little plasma cut lines (striations) on them.

Shocked, I asked what plasma he was using. He had a brand new Hypertherm 85. The plasma was worth more than his entire table. LOL

I have to stress, the table has very little to do with the quality of cut, the actual Plasma is what counts.

A good table will allow you to cut faster, cleaner and more efficient. Cutting the same part on my table would be a fraction of the time it takes him on his....but the cut is so impressive you wouldn't believe it came off of that table.

Asking table manufacturers about cut samples is pretty much a waste of time....that's all plasma and unless they are making their own or the plasma is proprietory, it's useless when deciding on a table to purchase. Asking how the table runs, speed, THC, strength, support, software, replacement parts etc.... would be a much better thing to ask.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
southern kustoms
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by southern kustoms »

Thank for all the replies, is there a big difference between servo and stepper motors.
I'm going to be cutting 3/8,1/2 most of the time, I'm going to use a hypertherm 85
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

southern kustoms wrote:Thank for all the replies, is there a big difference between servo and stepper motors.
I'm going to be cutting 3/8,1/2 most of the time, I'm going to use a hypertherm 85
I have my thoughts on that, but I think I would wait for Jim Colt's 2 cents . . .

My understanding is the difference shows up when cutting thin material fast.

I personally believe servos are the way to go. If I didn't I would already have a TRACKER in my shop.

I'm watching and reading everything I can on the DYNATORCH SuperB, to me it looks like they cherry picked industry features and put together a winner for a small or medium shop. They offer a 4x4, 4x8 & 5X10 . . .

Steve
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Metriccar
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Metriccar »

CNCCAJUN wrote:
southern kustoms wrote:Thank for all the replies, is there a big difference between servo and stepper motors.
I have my thoughts on that, but I think I would wait for Jim Colt's 2 cents . . .

I personally believe servos are the way to go. If I didn't I would already have a TRACKER in my shop.

I'm watching and reading everything I can on the DYNATORCH SuperB, to me it looks like they cherry picked industry features and put together a winner for a small or medium shop. They offer a 4x4, 4x8 & 5X10 . . .

Steve

That's my assessment as well on the Super-B. In fact I called them up and they steered me away from the higher priced models and suggested the Super-B. I asked them for a sample cut from 16 gauge and they are waiting for when they have a Hypertherm model finished and ready for final testing where they will give me a sample cut. Plasmacam, from what I can tell, also provides nice clean cuts on thin metal.

I looked at the EasyCut models but they are priced above the Plasmacam and Super B. I am not sure if these additional costs translate to a better cut or just stiffer frame and/or longevity. Multicam is another that I am looking at.
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Metriccar wrote:
CNCCAJUN wrote:

Steve

That's my assessment as well on the Super-B. In fact I called them up and they steered me away from the higher priced models and suggested the Super-B. I asked them for a sample cut from 16 gauge and they are waiting for when they have a Hypertherm model finished and ready for final testing where they will give me a sample cut. Plasmacam, from what I can tell, also provides nice clean cuts on thin metal.

I looked at the EasyCut models but they are priced above the Plasmacam and Super B. I am not sure if these additional costs translate to a better cut or just stiffer frame and/or longevity. Multicam is another that I am looking at.
A Multicam 1000 & an EZ Cut are the same machine minus the great software & different paint job. Built in same facility delivered off the same dock in Texas. It's simply a backdoor method to market a less expensive machine without ticking off their high end customers. Do not confuse them with an EasyCut which is knock-off of an EZ Cut which is a knock off of a MultiCAM. :D
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Gamelord,

While we would love to take credit for building plasma systems that will make any cnc machine cut perfectly......your statements are a bit off base! Cutting thick material with excellent quality is easy compared to cutting thin material, with the reason being that is is much tougher for a machine to maintain speed, accelerate to that speed and maintain cut height as the material gets thinner. An old photocell tracer will cut 1/2" and thicker with an air plasma with excellent quality......put some 12 gauge on the same table and expect a molten, dross loaded out of tolerance part.

Someone else was asking about the comparison between servos and steppers. Nothing wrong with steppers, properly spec'd and geared for the weight (mass) of the gantry and torch carriage they work well and can be just as accurate as a servo. Incorrectly sized and you will have poor acceleration, a narrow speed range, and the possibility of missed steps, all of which can affet the cut quality and accuracy of your cut parts.

A servo motor by design has a very wide speed range, and more importantly, the torque stays fairly constant through that speed range. This means that when you are cutting 16 gauge steel at 300 inches per minute....the machine can accelerate to that speed in a short distance, minimizing dross and maintaining the correct speed for best cut quality. Why doesn't everyone use servos? They require a feedback loop from an encoder that feeds back exact positioning to the computer, this is more complex from an electronics and software point of view, and costs more as compared to steppers.

Unfortunately a few of the machine suppliers as well as cost concious do it yourself builders continue to build and sell machines with inadequate stepper motor sizing/gearing for the mass of the machine. This limits the upper speed range often in the low 100 inch per minute range, seriously deadens the acceleration of the machine where it is important (at the higher speeds) and dramatically affects cut quality.....with any plasma.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Gamelord wrote:I have a friend that has a very old CNC plasma. This thing is very crude, has a manual dial for height control and warped grating for a table. The software is ancient and only allows for 110 lines of G-Code max per cut....runs on Windows 95.

When I first saw the table, I cringed thinking Oh my, what a piece of ..... Then he showed some of the parts he was cutting out of 3/4" plate and I am still amazed. They are brackets about 12" long with a 3" hole in the middle of one end and a long finger on the other. The cuts looked amazing and something that I would be very satisfied with on my Torchmate table. Very little bevel, lines were sharp and straight with very little plasma cut lines (striations) on them.

Shocked, I asked what plasma he was using. He had a brand new Hypertherm 85. The plasma was worth more than his entire table. LOL

I have to stress, the table has very little to do with the quality of cut, the actual Plasma is what counts.

A good table will allow you to cut faster, cleaner and more efficient. Cutting the same part on my table would be a fraction of the time it takes him on his....but the cut is so impressive you wouldn't believe it came off of that table.

Asking table manufacturers about cut samples is pretty much a waste of time....that's all plasma and unless they are making their own or the plasma is proprietory, it's useless when deciding on a table to purchase. Asking how the table runs, speed, THC, strength, support, software, replacement parts etc.... would be a much better thing to ask.

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”