Lifting torch Head

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
hoodman_unarfmed
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Lifting torch Head

Post by hoodman_unarfmed »

Have a Trucut machine. My problem is that it will cut be cutting normal and then out of no where the torch head lifts higher and then it doesn't cut through just ugly slag melt lines. Curious if anyone knows why it does this and what I can do to not do it. Thank you.
Jacky Elliott
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Lifting torch Head

Post by Jacky Elliott »

So many things can cause this. Everything from stuck consumables to THC issues. When this happens, what is your arc volts actual and set volt? I recently had an issue with air flow causing my consumables not to operate correctly. Check your consumables and make sure your electrode isn't stuck. It must be free. Try to figure out any symptons that might point in any direction. From the sounds of it, it is a intermittent fault that comes and goes, usually settings are not an issue for this type of problem but don't rule it out.

What type of torch do you use? Speeds, set volts, amps? Try to pay close attention to what is going on exactly with it when this happens. Is it localized to one area of your table or random? Loose connections? Check all your connections to see if you can find a loose connection somewhere. I'm definitely no expert but hope this helps.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

I suggest contacting TruCut CNC. They have very good support for the cnc plasma machines that they build and sell. Tell Cindy or Richard that Jim Colt sent you!

Since torch height control is controlled by arc voltage feedback...there are a lot of things that can affect the height / voltage relationship, most issues will cause the torch to dive into the material.

Diving Torch:
- Poor work cable attachment to the material being cut
- Low torch cut air pressure
- Worn electrode, worn nozzle (can often still be used if you set a higher arc voltage)
-Arc voltage setting too low. Increase arc voltage to increase height.
- Improper setting in software for freezing height during slowdown for fine features, corners, etc.

Rising torch:
- Arc Voltage setting too high
- Incorrect setting in software
- High Torch cut pressure (adjust according to manufacturers recommendation
- Issue with Plasma voltage feedback connection (feedback voltage ratio too low)

Best regards, Jim Colt

-
RawFabRobb
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by RawFabRobb »

Did anyone figure this out? I'm having the same problem.. THC is fine.. I have to reset my torch height offset almost every time I change sheets and halfway thru a 10' sheet it starts to go higher that the set pierce height. Talked to Darius? At Trucut.. Not much help. Ross is sick. Manual says offset should be -.5 to -.7 ish... Factory was -.3 I'm at -.24 to get correct pierce height on 16ga.. Any help would b great
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

you may have a bad switch if this is using a floating head switch. Ohmic sensors do not have that much of an offset if any.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
cindy carlisle
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by cindy carlisle »

Thanks for the call, Jim is so right, calling the manufacturer is the easiest way to resolve the issue.
We are always there to help our TruCut CNC owners. All they have to do is call.

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”