Ethernet Option Now Available

Don't see your table manufacturer listed above? Post here in this forum.
cindy carlisle
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Ethernet Option Now Available

Post by cindy carlisle »

:D Ethernet Option

With the slow demise of the PC parallel port, another method of machine control is becoming more and more important. The Ethernet controller upgrade allows you to run Mach3 and control the machine from any PC, including lap tops and Windows tablets. The only requirement is that the PC have a Cat5 Ethernet port. All PC's manufactured to date have this.

The Ethernet upgrade consists of an upgraded interface board with opto-isolated inputs and an Ethernet controller board. The upgraded interface and controller also make more inputs available for custom applications.
Cindy
http://www.trucutcnc.com
615-290-6260
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Ethernet Option Now Available

Post by SignTorch Vector Art »

interesting... I'd definitely prefer Ethernet rather than parallel cables

is it a direct cable connection (not network addressable)?
cindy carlisle
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by cindy carlisle »

SignTorch Vector Art wrote:interesting... I'd definitely prefer Ethernet rather than parallel cables

is it a direct cable connection (not network addressable)?

It is a direct cable connection from the computer to the controller ( if you want network addition like a laptop or other , it is just addition of another board for each)
Cindy
615-290-6260
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

to clarify: that means you can add multiple Ethernet boards on the machine controller and run the machine from multiple computers?
trucutcnc
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by trucutcnc »

SignTorch Vector Art wrote:to clarify: that means you can add multiple Ethernet boards on the machine controller and run the machine from multiple computers?
No...You can add multiple Ethernet ports to the PC. You would dedicate one with a static IP to the controller. The other can be set up normally through DHCP or your router to get it's IP address. This port would be visible on your LAN. This approach also does away with firewall issues since you can set the firewall to block one port (the one that connects to your LAN and internet) and allow full access to the one connected only to the CNC controller. The controller needs a dedicated port so it has uninterrupted data flow. The dedicated port to the controller is not network accessible.

We're testing laptops and tablets now, but it looks like a laptop that has a wired Ethernet port and WIFI can be set up so the wired adapter is set static to the controller and the WIFI can be set normally to connect to your wireless router, LAN and internet.
--------------------------------------------
Ross Carlisle
Jackson, TN
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

ahhh... cool, cool, that answered my next question to, which has me wondering if USB to Ethernet might work for the LAN on a PC without WIFI (or multiple Ethernet ports), anyway I'm sure you will test all that, I just think it's nice to see some movement in that direction since parallel ports are out and Ethernet is in
trucutcnc
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by trucutcnc »

SignTorch Vector Art wrote:ahhh... cool, cool, that answered my next question to, which has me wondering if USB to Ethernet might work for the LAN on a PC without WIFI (or multiple Ethernet ports), anyway I'm sure you will test all that, I just think it's nice to see some movement in that direction since parallel ports are out and Ethernet is in
It should work...as long as the PC sees it as an Ethernet adapter. I looked all over town the other day for a USB to Cat5 adapter and couldn't find one. USB wireless adapters are everywhere. I know they make them. Just need to order one online.

There is still a good supply of 32 bit PC's with parallel ports on the refurb market, but supply will start drying up in another year or two. USB is too sensitive to external electrical noise. Ethernet is way forward for sure.
--------------------------------------------
Ross Carlisle
Jackson, TN

Return to “Various Manufacturers Forum”