Wall Mounting Your Art

Share tips and tricks regarding cut cutting, material handling, metal finishing, marketing, or anything you find helpful.
Metal Arcs
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Wall Mounting Your Art

Post by Metal Arcs »

I am about to make a 90 lb piece of 1/4" wall art. I was looking into using standoffs to wall mount but then realized the standoffs may not be exactly what i want. Not sure if I want to spend 40-50 bucks on mounting hardware that I have to drill holes in the piece to display. Due to the weight of the piece I def need it to be well mounted so I am curious what options you guys use for discrete mounting of heavy art. I would hate to drill holes into this piece for the sake of a strong hang with 4 heavy duty wall anchors. Welding is an option so let me hear what you guys have done in the past! :?:
Metal Storm
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Wall Mounting Your Art

Post by Metal Storm »

if u are hanging it from concrete you could use HILTI bolts. make channel type brackets, cut a u shape slot sized for your hardware cut in the valley of the channel in such a way to hold art work up while you lock the nuts. weld open face of channel brackets to the back of the art work. allow enough space to slip a wrench in behind and turn, this may also give the stand off effect you want. if you use hilty bolts you will need a hammer drill and masonery bit. if mounting to a regular sheet rock wall you are going to want a backing plate and through bolt, another better option for sheet rock wall wud be to locate the studs with a finder and mount to those points just make sure that the hardware is rated for those loads and follow manufacture spec. if there is not enough studs to mount to the wall may need to be opened up and framed for support this is not likely but at 90lb you will need to find robust means to secure it to a sheet rock wall firm allowing the load to be shared with the supporting members, never the sheet rock its alon. im not sure where u are from or what enviroment it will be in, try to think of what minor things might turn it loose like a seismic event or other factors with in reason. if you know where it is going to be installed do some recon & find out what you have to work with. one thing im learning is to incorperate the means of mounting into the art. if you are worried about the cost of the hardware, you may want to make it lighter. the more load that is put on something the more engineered the hardware thus the expence.
i hope someone knows some better tricks. any info i provided is based on local code and exp. with mounting electrical gear not art. im going to shut up now cuz i dont think im helping. :lol:
Metal Storm
by J.P. Janeway
nuke1jj@gmail.com
Plasma Cam DHC2
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 38
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

pretty much what Janeway has mentioned. Take a look at how flat panel TVs are mounted and do the same with your art. Build a large strong bracket and mount that to the wall, then build another bracket (or weld strong bolts to your art) and after welding or attaching it to your art, hang it on the wall bracket. The wall bracket can be anchored securely to the studs or into the cement then you hang your art on it.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
Metal Arcs
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Metal Arcs »

http://www.displays2go.com

The cheapest prices for standoffs I could find. I do like the idea of going the plasma tv technique, I do like how secure that weight would be held up. I bought 4 standoffs but in the meantime I am going to think about bending some light gauge metal to create the J-Hook type design that my plasma hangs from. I am trying to finish this by saturday but time is slippin' by so i may just go the standoff route, and yes, I will def be chasing studs when i install. The standoffs are round, the piece has lots of circles and round shapes so they will go together.

Man I wish I could do some lighter material on this machine :lol: A friend of mine, her husbands shop just got a new waterjet that could do some serious cuts in light gauge, I will give him a call for next time. But I promise to not join a waterjetspider forum!
enfofan
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by enfofan »

incorporate appropriate length tabs in your piece along the edges, and fold the 'tabs' back behind the piece, this will give you the offset you want and a way to use a 'blind fastener.. I have also used french cleats
Metal Arcs
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Metal Arcs »

folding 1/4 inch is more work than i want to get involved with but i do like the idea very much, once i can run lighter stuff i def will incorporate the hanger in that fashion. great idea.

as for the french cleat, that may be a cool route to go. and we do have lighter gauge material here that i can bend up and weld on.that would make the install way easier too. we'll see if my standoffs get here in time, if not, off to the light gauges i go!

all great ideas:!:
Metal Storm
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Metal Storm »

The tv type mount is great way to go cuz i leaves room for adjusment.
Metal Storm
by J.P. Janeway
nuke1jj@gmail.com
Plasma Cam DHC2
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 38

Return to “Tech Tips From Other Members”