Sign Spacing/ Backplate

Share tips and tricks regarding cut cutting, material handling, metal finishing, marketing, or anything you find helpful.
conz35
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Sign Spacing/ Backplate

Post by conz35 »

Hey guys newbie here.I tried searching in the forum but couldnt find the answer/pics about sign spacing/ backplate. Ive been hand cutting plasma signs and xmas gifts for family and friends and I wanted to try out some 3d stlye signs. What I mean is I want to have a logo with words underneath raised off a back plate. How are you guys doing this? I read about using bolts welded to the back of the logo or lettering but that would alot of bolts and washers/etc. Is there any easier way? Any advice or pictures is appreciated.
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: Sign Spacing/ Backplate

Post by Gamelord »

It really depends on the sign size, what type of finish you are looking for and how far you need it to stand off. There are many ways to do this. You can use bent metal tabs welded/glued/epoxied, metal tubes with bolts running through them, welded nuts, washers, etc... It all depends on the size and what type of finish you are looking for.

Welded nuts is super simple and gives you the ability to take the sign apart should you ever need to do that (access to lights or cleaning). It also gives a nice smooth finish on the front without bolts showing. For permanent signs, I have even welded the nuts and then tack-welded the bolts just to make sure it never comes loose over time.

For multiple colors (one color on the front, another on the backplate) the welded nuts is great, especially for powder coating. Makes it super simple to work with and if it is solid colors, no need to tape or mask.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
conz35
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by conz35 »

Thanks for the reply, Thats what I was looking for. I powdercoat all my stuff too and was really interested in doing different colors. Which is why the bolt method appealed to me. The only reason I was asking for different ideas was if doing lettering say "Welcome to so and so's" then, In theory If I wanted the lettering raised off I would have to put at least one bolt on each letter.Sounded like alot of nuts and bolts and was just curious if thats the way everyone else does it or if theres a cheaper/easier way.... Thanks for your input...
Metal Arcs
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Metal Arcs »

I always have my lettering slightly overlapping or underlined so " The Smiths" would be one piece and depending on size should take far less welding/ hardware than each letter seperate, if this what you mean. :?:
conz35
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by conz35 »

yeah that what I was trying to say. Thanks for all the input
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Same here, if possible I always try to tie all my lettering together to make it easier to cut and it also makes it so that the lettering is always lined up straight. If you had to do individual letters, that could get tedious. :) I would still probably do two bolts per letter (depending on the size) just to make sure it didn't end up rotating and looking all goofy. Nice thing is that you can draw the holes in the back plate and have your plasma cutter knock those out while it cuts, saving you a lot of time having to try and measure to line everything back up. :) I have also taken my drawing and added little triangle points on the outside edge to line up the raised front plate, this way I can lay my top piece on the bottom piece exactly where it needs to be, clamp it and then flip it over to mark for welding. Then after everything is welded, just grind down the small triangle points so they are no longer visible (obviously before powder coating or painting). This saves me a ton of time trying to measure and line up everything.

Hope that helps.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
conz35
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by conz35 »

Gamelord wrote: I have also taken my drawing and added little triangle points on the outside edge to line up the raised front plate, this way I can lay my top piece on the bottom piece exactly where it needs to be, clamp it and then flip it over to mark for welding.
That is an awesome idea... Great food for thought.
Thanks for the tips

Return to “Tech Tips From Other Members”