Cold die grinder hurting my hand.

Share tips and tricks regarding cut cutting, material handling, metal finishing, marketing, or anything you find helpful.
plasmapros
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Cold die grinder hurting my hand.

Post by plasmapros »

OK, winter is here, my shop is cold cause I'm cheap and my air die grinder is making it worse. The compressed air makes the handle of the grinder sooooo cold that my palm begins to ache after 15 minutes. Wearing a glove helps to extend how long I can hold onto it for but it's short lived relief. I ended up tearing a snowmobile handgrip warmer of an old sled and installed it onto the die grinder handle and wrapped it with electrical tape. Found an old 12v laptop charger and hooked it up to the grip warmer leads and things couldn't be better :D Maybe i'm the only one on earth with this problem but I figured I would share it. Happy new year everyone.
elvenhome21
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Cold die grinder hurting my hand.

Post by elvenhome21 »

definitely a great idea. I hate the all aluminum body grinders, those with give you frost bite. The magnesium? ones by ingersoll rand with a rubber grip are a ton better for not getting cold. Plus front exhaust can help a little too, because it always blows up my sleeve with a rear exhaust
elwoood
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Cold die grinder hurting my hand.

Post by elwoood »

I am in Arizona and have the opposite problem, torch handles, grinders all get too hot to hold. I bought adhesive backed cork sheets. Wrap the handle in cork, secure with duct tape and WAA LAA tools we can hold on to. Might work for cold tools too.

Return to “Tech Tips From Other Members”