TSP to remove mill scale

Share tips and tricks regarding cut cutting, material handling, metal finishing, marketing, or anything you find helpful.
RobertJohnson
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

TSP to remove mill scale

Post by RobertJohnson »

So, I couldn't find muriatic acid at Home Depot, but I could find TSP, premixed. Bought a pressurized sprayer, small one, 6 bux, TSP 6 bux, and a grinding disc, AVANTIPRO, black quick strip Disc, 10 bux. Wow! Mill scale is no longer a problem for this guy! I'm going back tomorrow, to buy at least 2 more discs! I no longer have to pay more for cold rolled steel!! And I can stay in state, instead of taking my money south. Oh and the pressure sprayer, 6 bux. Just sprayed the TSP on full strength, let it sit for a few minutes, then rinsed off with water. Grind with the AvantiPro disc, shiny, shiny! Take a regular grinding disc to it after and even more shiny!!! I saved myself HOURS, WASTED HOURS!, ON GRINDING THAT CRAPPY MILL SCALE OFF. 3 homeruns tonight!!! Just had to share this tip since I couldn't post in Finish topics. Hope you li :twisted: ke this.
bwshop
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: TSP

Post by bwshop »

What is TSP ???? :oops:
redneckgateart
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by redneckgateart »

Trisodium phosphate is a cleaning agent, food additive, stain remover and degreaser
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Thanks for the tip Robert, does it remove the dross at all ?

I've only ever used sugar soap to clean my walls before painting, always good to find out other uses for what you have around. I've found the Hydrochloric acid is also useful as a weed killer ;)
bwshop
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by bwshop »

I can only get it local in a powder how strong would a guy mix it
Thank you bwshop
RobertJohnson
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by RobertJohnson »

Sorry guys, I haven't been on for a bit, had to go out of town. Anyways, haven't tried it on the dross. I'm hoping it wasn't a fluke or if its just the new grinding pad I bought. Been too busy to mess any metal lately, so I'll test it tomorrow and .post results.
jmsrbrt
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by jmsrbrt »

An overnight soak in muriatic acid and water (50/50 mix) seems to work okay for me. If Home Depot doesn't have the acid, check your local pool supply store, or Tractor Supply.
Torchmate 2 with ATHC & Water table
Corel 12, Turbo Cad
TD Cutmaster 51
San Marcos, Texas
DARRYL21270
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by DARRYL21270 »

We used to use TSP to remove wallpaper and the glue
elwoood
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by elwoood »

Has anyone had success with TSP? I got hosed by my supplier and got hot rolled instead of cold rolled. Got to make it work. Any info will help, going to the big box tomorrow to buy some. Long soak times? Regular 60/80 grit flap disk OK? Let me know and I will post my trials when done.
Thanks, Dave
steelfx
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by steelfx »

elwoood wrote:Has anyone had success with TSP? I got hosed by my supplier and got hot rolled instead of cold rolled. Got to make it work. Any info will help, going to the big box tomorrow to buy some. Long soak times? Regular 60/80 grit flap disk OK? Let me know and I will post my trials when done.
Thanks, Dave
Dave,

Check out the forum on metal finishing: http://plasmaspider.com/viewforum.php?f=85
Don't waste your time & money buying TSP. It will not work for removing mill-scale or dross.
Muriatic Acid & Water, in a 1:1 ratio will remove mill-scale in 15 minutes. Depending on how heavy
your dross is, it may take anywhere from 2 to 24 hrs. to remove.

thanks,

Bill
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Yup, I finally purchased some (muriatic acid) to see what all the hype is and I am kicking myself for not getting it sooner! Purchased at Home Depot, comes in gallon jugs, found it in the paint department.

I just picked up a couple of the Home Depot 5 gallon buckets with lids, one I put the acid / water mix in, the other I dumped a couple of .79 cent boxes of baking soda and water. 10 minutes in the acid and all the mill scale is gone!!!, just spray it off with water and you have a beautiful clean piece. Overnight in the acid and all the dross it gone!!! I had a piece of 1/4" that was so bad with dross I figured I would toss it, ended up making another because it was crap. Dumped it into the acid over the weekend and on Monday it could have been sold as good!!! NO grinding at all.

I now have two 35 gallon rubbermaid trash cans sitting outside my shop, one half filled with acid, the other soda water. Just what I am saving in time and grinding disks make this a blessing!

I highly suggest spending 20 bucks, get to 5 gallon buckets and some acid and try it!
Last edited by Gamelord on Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
elwoood
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by elwoood »

Update on the TSP trials... it does not work. I took a different approach to the acid bath method. I can not have muriatic acid in my shop so I went to the big W and bought 5% white vinegar and some 3% hydrogen peroxide.Total cost less than 6.00 bucks. I used a rubbermaid tub and 1G of vinegar and the whole bottle of peroxide. I placed a 1/2 sheet of 12g parts inside, put a loose fitting lid on it and let it soak for about 2-3 hrs. Pulled a part out, rinsed with clear water and hit it with an 80 grit flap disk and the mill scale flew off. When I was done I dumped some baking soda in the tub, added some more water and it is safe to go down the drain. Cheap and safe to use. If you don't your shop smelling of vinegar add some extra virgin olive oil, 4 gloves of garlic, some fresh basil and you have a wonderful dross and mill scale vinaigrette!
BrianMick

Post by BrianMick »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bobk
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: TSP to remove mill scale

Post by Bobk »

Is the baking soda for nutrulizing the acid?
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

I use a product called "Washing Soda" it has soap with baking soda, use a stiff scrub brush to clean off the acid then clean water and blow dry with clean air.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Bobk wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:42 am Is the baking soda for nutrulizing the acid?
Yes, the baking soda is for neutralizing the acid. The washing soda Tom suggest works great.

Return to “Tech Tips From Other Members”