Harbor freight air dryer

All topics related to compressed air supply.
gaolista
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Harbor freight air dryer

Post by gaolista »

IMG_7162.JPG
We installed an air dryer from harbor freight and don't seem to have any better results. Our last trap before the plasma cutter is still turning deccident balls pink. Their isn't anything in the trap on the back of the plasma cutter but our cuts aren't piercing throughout the entire operation. Also the rate at which the balls are turning pink are the same as before we installed the air dryer. Anyway, if there are any of you out there that use the harbor freight dryer and can look at the photo to confirm my gauge is reading correctly that would be great. Thanks for the help.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Harbor freight air dryer

Post by little blue choo »

Mine works like a charm and runs at about 30 PSI low side pressure. Same as in your picture.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
gaolista
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by gaolista »

little blue choo wrote:Mine works like a charm and runs at about 30 PSI low side pressure. Same as in your picture.

Rick
Ok, thanks for the reply.
I'll have to figure out why I still have so much moisture between the it dryer and my plasma cutter.
Just using 3/8 hose, do you think I need to be using pipe?
Thanks again for the help
Dana gear
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Dana gear »

Depends where you are at in the world, Death Valley no humidity ,Hawaii lots of humidity.
Our shop is in Northern California, in the winter high humidity, we run automatic tank drains on all our compressors, you would be surprised how much water these guys blow off in a day. From there a couple of standard water traps and then in the CNC shops where we use Hankison coalescing moisture/oil removel filters fallowed by Hankison air driers and Motorgard air filters, may be over kill but our air is drier then a pop corn fart.
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

Your problem may not be dry air but loss of air pressure during operation.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
ggeh
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ggeh »

gaolista wrote:
little blue choo wrote:Mine works like a charm and runs at about 30 PSI low side pressure. Same as in your picture.

Rick
Ok, thanks for the reply.
I'll have to figure out why I still have so much moisture between the it dryer and my plasma cutter.
Just using 3/8 hose, do you think I need to be using pipe?
Thanks again for the help

I have hf air drier to and the water trap inside the the unit never worked from the very beginning. I took out the float valve and and ran a drain hose from the bottom of the trap to an electric solenoid drain valve that has an adjustable timer and cycle length on it. no more water in my lines. I all so used 1/2 inch pipe on mine and it flows fine.
ForceDesigns
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by ForceDesigns »

gaolista, did you ever solve this issue? Was it the water trap as suggested by ggeh?
Home Built 4x4 CNC Plasma Table
Ethernet Smoothstepper
C25 BOB
MiniTHC
Hypertherm Powermax 45XP
Software: Mach3 and Sheetcam, Solidworks 2019 for serious design work and Inkscape for signs
tothwelding
1 Star Elite Contributing Member
1 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tothwelding »

I have this same drier and im in florida where the humidity is real bad. I have had such a hard time keeping water out of my lines and once I put this drier in I have zero water issues. Ran a rubber 1/2in hydraulic hose from compressor to drier and another from drier to extra air tank. I also made 2 12in drops with valves right out of the compressor to a filter then the rubber hydraulic line. This way the heat from the metal pipe doesn't travel to the drier. Compressor will get hot if it runs a lot and the heat will travel if you don't isolate it. Heat causes the moisture

Return to “Air Dryers, Air Filters, Air Compressors, Etc.”