It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:26 pm

CAD HELP

Share tips and tricks you know of in this forum. Plasma cutting, material handling, metal finishing, marketing, or anything that you feel is helpful.
Txtophand

CAD HELP

Postby Txtophand » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:38 pm

I have a small fire pit that I have drawn out in Autodesk Inventor for the students to cut out weld and show in 2 weeks. It is drawn out to cut from a single sheet of 4'x8'x1/4" plate. When I go to extrude the pieces it deletes the cuts on the interior of parts, as several parts come out of the middle in of the drawing. It is as tight as I can get it to not waste any plate.
I am an extreme novice when it comes to CAD. Would someone take a look and tell me what I need to do.
Thanks,
Ben B.

You do not have access to download this dxf file.
Become a Contributing Member to gain access to the thousands of files shared by our members. Click Here

acourtjester
Elite Contributing Member
Elite Contributing Member

Re: CAD HELP

Postby acourtjester » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:28 pm

What your file show is a 36" outer circle with a center hole and 8 other holes around the center one in a 6" circle.
Maybe you attached the wrong file!
circle.jpg

You do not have access to download this dxf file.
Become a Contributing Member to gain access to the thousands of files shared by our members. Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
CandCNC DTHC-IV & Feather Touch
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PM 256 tig

Txtophand

Postby Txtophand » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:28 pm

I cant get inventor to save it in the right file type now. It will not allow me to attach it.

Txtophand

Postby Txtophand » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:41 pm

I can only get the file to save in an .itp or a dwg and neither will attach
Tks,
BWB

tcaudle

Postby tcaudle » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:22 pm

Have you tried EXPORT? Autocad only SAVES in native file formats. You should be able to pitch the version of DXF you want to export in. Use older version. Depending on whaich CAM you are using you might consider drawing the parts separately and exporting them separately then nesting them in your CAM package (and control what order and how they cut easier.

Some idea of the other tools you have (software/hardware) can help us be a little more specific.

Return to “Tech Tips”