Setting up the Velox Z Axis

Share tips and tricks regarding cut cutting, material handling, metal finishing, marketing, or anything you find helpful.
edclayton1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Setting up the Velox Z Axis

Post by edclayton1 »

Yesterday I was trying to configure my Velox Z axis in Command CNC and here was a method I came up with to setup the proper steps and also I was able to precisely measure and determine my Z home switch offset with this setup.
First I used some double sided tape and a six inch ruler and got pretty close setting up my steps so that it would travel approx. 1" when I told Command CNC to travel 1" in CommadCNC. I also made a mark on the Z axis as close to the 4" mark on the ruler then I used the MDI to command it to travel down 1 " and noted how far it traveled then with a little experimenting with the numbers in the CommandCNC configurator I setup a dial indicator to the base of the torch holder an zeroed it. Then when I commanded it to travel one inch I could see precisely how far It traveled down to the thousandths of an inch, then I tweeked the number of steps in the configurator a little more until I got exactly 1" of movement in CommandCNC when I commanded the Z axis to travel down 1" in CommandCNC using the MDI. I decided to post this because there was no instructions on how to get to exact results in the manual or on the internet, and I was tickled with this method and its results.
After I got my steps dialed in all I had to do to determine my Z offset was to again make sure the test indicator was reading .000" then carefully moved the floating head plate up until the switch activated as seen on the diagnostic screen in command CNC and read the indicator, I repeated this numerous times and I came up with 0.090" for a solid average. Then I programed that into my Configurator as a negative number( Thanks Tom C. for helping my understand to make it negative).
Anyway hopefully this technique might be useful to someone out there.
Cheers, Ed :P
20170504_200549.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Home Built 4 * 8 table
Bladerunner
Miller Syncrowave 250 TIG welder
Miller 211 Wirefeed Welder
Bridgeport Mill
Jet 13 * 40 Lathe
Hypertherm Powermax 65
80 gal 2 stage 175 PSI Emax air Compressor

Return to “Tech Tips From Other Members”