warped sheet metal hold down

Share tips and tricks regarding cut cutting, material handling, metal finishing, marketing, or anything you find helpful.
teamroper
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

warped sheet metal hold down

Post by teamroper »

I have several sheets of carbon steel various gauge that I want to use on my our school Torchmate 4X4 with Hight Control. The material varies in warp condition, which is how it ended here as a donation from local business.

I know I can load it and experiment with the hight control and see how well the controls work.

What I'm looking for is ideas for simple tips for holding it down while cutting. I thought about piercing small holes to use as pull down features to the slats and then insure they are not in a cut path?? Just a random not well thought out yet.

other tricks?
sawdust1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: warped sheet metal hold down

Post by sawdust1 »

I have left over aluminum wires that are from a chain link fence. These wires are used to hold the top of the fence onto the top rail.
I had lots left over so I used the hook to go under my support bars and I bend the rod over onto the surface of my metal to cut keeping it tight. 1/2 inch sharp back bend to get the remainder of the rod away from the cutting area. My torch clears the wire when at travel height. I put the sheet bend down so that it is held up by my support bars. I have a bunch of pre-bent rods as sort of a selection. By crowding the rods at something off perpendicular I can tighten or loosen the amount of pull.
david
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: warped sheet metal hold down

Post by sphurley »

I made a bunch of the mini vice grip clamps
http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.p ... mps#p86528
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485