Easy part marking with Powermax 45

Share tips and tricks regarding cut cutting, material handling, metal finishing, marketing, or anything you find helpful.
DCSMANUFACTURING
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Easy part marking with Powermax 45

Post by DCSMANUFACTURING »

Hello All, This is my first post on this site. I wanted to share some part marking info that I have come up with. You can mark part bend lines, serialize parts, use for "etched art" or whatever other idea you come up with using my technique. As far as I know this is my idea lol...I searched a bunch of stuff on google but came up empty handed. Then I experimented and came up with my own solution.

HERE IS HOW YOU DO IT: This was on 1/8 thick 304 sst - results may vay and test need to be done for other materials and thicknesses - I assume the thinner the faster cut speed...

My machine specs are- * 2016 Plasmacam CNC 4x4 table, advanced software, tube cutting attachment, digital height control and Ohmic sensing and a Hypertherm Powermax 45*

1) Remove the ground clamp from the table - you ma add a disconnected switch for cool points and ease of marking which I plan to do!- (Only remove the plasma torch ground) My table is also earth grounded via a 8ft copper rod driven 7ft 9in deep then grounded to the table with 1/8 solid copper wire. This may not work without a separate earth ground?

2) In the settings page under height control I turn OFF "OHMIC sensing" and select turn ON "stall on material".

3) I select single lines on the dxf file where I drew the bend lines, art work or serial numbers, etc - turn them into single cut lines

4) Under settings, machine control, I select the speed to 60ipm

5) Pierce time to 0.00 sec

6) I turn the amperage down to 20 (minimum setting on my Hypertherm Powermax 45)

7) Hit start and cut the part using the settings!

Here is the very first part markings on the first part I cut for a friend using the settings. Worked out awesome! Give it a try and share your results here! I tried to upload pics. Let me know if they turn out. Been a decade since I used a forum (Supraforums lol).

Share conquer and divide my friends!

-David
Diesel
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Easy part marking

Post by Diesel »

DCSMANUFACTURING wrote:Hello All, This is my first post on this site.I tried to upload pics.
Let me know if they turn out. Been a decade since I used a forum (Supraforums lol).
Welcome, David!

The pics did not turn out - I'm interested to see what you have going on there.

Supraforums, eh?
It just so happens that I'm a big fan of the TX2K event held down in Houston every March. I'm sure that you know that event started out as a MKIV Supra meet back in the day. I have friends who have owned and some that still own MKIV Supras. Some have moved on to the R35 GT-R's, which are amazing rigs. Small world!

Cheers,

Matt
Custom LDR Motion Systems 5x10 table w/ rotary axis and scribe
Hypertherm Powermax85
Quincy 325 compressor
Ingersoll Rand D18IN refrigerated air dryer
Millermatic 251 MIG
Everlast PowerPro 256 TIG/stick/plasma w/ water cooler

Return to “Tech Tips From Other Members”