Blowing Out Tips and Error Messages

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
squareonemachine
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Blowing Out Tips and Error Messages

Post by squareonemachine »

I have an Hypertherm 85 and Plasma Cam Software. For the past several weeks the tips continues to burn out very quickly. When I replace the tip, the hole on the old tip is blown out per the picture. I am also getting error messages after one cut that the material is touching the torch and the torch is not even close to the material. I have replaced all the internals with new ones when the tip looks like this. Has anyone had any similar issues? Any help will be much appreciated.
Attachments
Blown Tip.JPG
sphurley
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Blowing Out Tips and Error Messages

Post by sphurley »

Looks like water? I would wait for Jim Colt to chime in. I have a 85 and never have had that kind of a blowout.
Steve
Platform CNC Plasma table
CandCNC Ethercut IV DTHC
Hypertherm 85/CPC/RS485
Miller 350P
Miller Dynasty 280DX
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

You might read thru this thread and see if any of it might apply to you.

http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=22113

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
squareonemachine
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by squareonemachine »

Thanks for the information. I read through the thread and am going to do a few things to hopefully help with getting drier air through the system. I still don't know why I am getting the message of tip touching metal after every cut. One thing that I have noticed though, when it does give me the message, I have to wait until the air has completely shutoff on the torch and I hit the cut material button again. It will then start up and go cut the next item. If I try to hit the cut button while the air is still flowing through the gun, then it gives me the touch material message again.
plasmapros
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by plasmapros »

Your nozzle certainly looks like dirty and or damp air is the problem if your not coming into contact with the material. Whats your electrode look like? Drain your compressor on a regular basis and get a GOOD air dryer it will make a huge difference and pay for itself. Those water traps you see at the hardware store won't cut it you need a good dryer.

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”