Chain cutting tips?

Share tips and tricks regarding cut cutting, material handling, metal finishing, marketing, or anything you find helpful.
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Chain cutting tips?

Post by motoguy »

Tomorrow I'll be cutting 350 small parts out of 3/16 HR. I've got the nest set up, and I think I'm going to run it this way. However, I am interested in chaining on future projects. It looks like a properly created chained nest could drastically cut down on my pierce count. I'm curious if you have any nesting tips/suggestions for someone just trying it out.

I've learned a few things today...such as:

1) If you're going to nest the same parts, but with one portion of the nest rotated (to fit inside the other...think the letter "C" with one side normal orientation, the other side mirrored), then create 2 different parts, and duplicate each for the nest halves ("normal" rotation, and "mirrored" rotation). This will let you chain together each side of the nest in Sheetcam. If all your parts are duplicate of the same original, when your rotate them, you may not be able to chain (as the pierce point moves with the part).

2) After doing #1 above, plan on staggering rows. Either in the X or Y axis, so that a point in each row can be used as a "jump off" point for a part in the alternating row. If they're not staggered, you may not have clearance to chain (the "chain line" may run across your existing cut part).

3) Along the lines of #2, give a little extra room between parts. This will allow room for a "chain cut line" to run between parts, without crossing an existing part.

Of course, I guess consumable life needs to be measured against metal consumption. It's possible that by the time you stagger rows, leave wider gaps, etc, you're "wasting" more material than you're saving with reduced consumable wear.

On this one, I'm just going to live with 350 individual pierces. On the next one, however, I'd like to try to cut that down. If I were to re-create the nest for the parts, using the ideas above, I think I could cut it with under 40 pierces. :o
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam

Return to “Tech Tips From Other Members”