Edge Taper

Cut quality issues can be discussed here, most common issues have been discussed here and should help you.
Wadzii
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Edge Taper

Post by Wadzii »

I've got my machine working pretty good, I have one cut quality issue thats been driving me nuts.

One side of the part will have a perfectly straight cut, the other side has a pretty severe taper to it. I've messed with cut heights, speeds etc, nothing seems to work. The torch is square and is ridged in the holder.

This is on 3/16 mild steel with a hypertherm powermax 45 using 45a shielded consumables on the machine torch. New consumables does not change anything.
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: Edge Taper

Post by Gamelord »

You may need to check your direction of cut. Plasma will always taper on one side more than the other. If you go the wrong direction, you will put the bad taper on the part you want to keep.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
Wadzii
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Wadzii »

As far as I know the direction is correct based on the guides i've seen here. Would the wrong direction cause it to be perfect on one side and have the large taper on the other side? It's really a problem cutting holes, one side of the hole will be great, the other will have the taper to the inside of the hole and I have to finish the holes with the die grinder after cutting.
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

Have you checked your nozzle for a "blown out" section, or debris? Checked shield for any clogged holes or debris?
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

Direction should be clockwise on outside cuts and anti clockwise on inside cuts.

To see if it's your consumables undo them and rotate them 180 degrees and check the results, if it moves with the rotation then turn either the nozzle or the shroud back and see which one moved agian.
Murray

Return to “Plasma Cut Quality Forum”