hypertherm 45 cnc losing arc

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
kdwilson33
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

hypertherm 45 cnc losing arc

Post by kdwilson33 »

Im new to this forum and cnc plasma cutting in general. I have a hypertherm 45on a cnc table using V Carve pro, sheetcam, and mach 3 softwares. Im having issues with losing my arc, mainly on long cuts on 3\16 plate or thicker material. My material is grounded, im using recommended cut speeds, I think im having air issues. Ive set my regulator to 100 psi, tried setting it higher and lower but still having the same issues. I don't lose my arc while the compressor is cycling it usually goes out 20 seconds or so after the compressor shuts off. My next step is to install a gauge on the back of the plasma unit to see if air is dropping between the compressor and plasma unit. I guess my question is how do I fix the problem if I do have a drop in pressure when I already have a regulator installed? Im also not understanding what people are talking about by turning the amperage knob counter- clockwise to set proper pressure on the plasma , ive just been using the adjustment knob on the unit until the middle light is illuminated. Any tips would be appreciated.
Wadzii
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: hypertherm 45 cnc losing arc

Post by Wadzii »

unless the air pressure indicator on the front goes all the way low the air pressure should be fine. If you think air is the problem watch that.

Keep your hand on the stop button and stop it when the torch goes out and check the height. On mine the torch can be really far from the metal and still maintain an arc, the only time it ever goes out is if the pierce delay is too long (ie. I forget to change from 0.6sec to 0.1sec when going from 3/8 plate to 16ga, etc), then it goes out before it starts moving.
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BTA Plasma »

### Do not set you air pressure on your Powermax 45 higher than the book settings. The top of the plasma cutter has a regulator that should not exceed book settings. A lot of strange things will happen.
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

Air pressure is one thing, air quality is a whole separate thing. How dry is your air? Do you have a dessicant air drying system in place?
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG

Return to “Hypertherm Plasma Cutters”