Electronics help ?

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Electronics help ?

Post by exapprentice »

Hi every one

As the heading says "Electronics Help"

I am in the thought and reading stage of my oven build :( I intend using a indirect oil fired space heater as the heat source).
I think I can over come the space heater start up and cool down cycles by leaving the space heater on all the time and not use the space heaters in-built temperature control link that shuts down and re-fires it as and when required (the start up is no big deal but the cool down blows cold air for ages)
BUT
With the space heater on all the time, this will give me a problem of maintaining a constant temp in the oven.

My plan to get around this is to have the duct into the oven from the space heater split - teed, so as the oven needs heat it goes straight in, but when its up to temp a flap / vane in the duct moves and sends the heated air to the shop and not into the oven unless it needs it.

As a mechanical biased person in sounds simple :lol: what I want is a PID temperature controller with a thermocouple in the oven, a rotary actuator mounted on the flap spindle to either open or close the inlet into the oven (ideally it would be proportional) so when the oven calls for heat the flap opens and then feathers the amount of heat being allowed into the oven to maintain the temp proportionally (I think that's the hysteresis bit).

Can I find the right bits of kit to do this - Yes individually, Do I know how to get them working with each other to do what I want - No, I haven't got a clue.

My cry for help is aimed at the electronic gurus out there who understand this electronic wizardry who can help me put together a shopping list of items that will work/talk together and control the oven temp and maybe a simple wiring diagram :?:

I have gone round and round googled most things now and I am still confused :cry:

Any help would be greatly appreciated :?

Just in case you have read this far, the reason I want to use a oil fired indirect space heater are:

1, I do not have sufficient power to run both an electric oven and my PM 45 at the same time + compressor, drier, lighting+ + + :shock:
2, I thought the indirect option would give a cleaner hot air supply into the oven, no burn or exhaust fumes and smut to contaminate the oven :!:
3, I thought it was going to be easy :lol: mechanically it is :D Its the question above that's stopped me dead in my tracks at the moment :(
4 I thought it was a good idea at the time :oops:
Best Regards to all
Exapprentice :D
(Pete)
10'x5' DIY table / PM 45XP + M/C Torch - Trying to add 4 axis Tube cutting :(
Linux/CommandCandCNC MP3600 / PN200 / DCP-01 / PWM
Solid Edge, Inkscape, SheetCam, Scananything & Andonstar USB Microscope
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Electronics help ?

Post by acourtjester »

OK what you want is not hard to do but my question is, to do powder coating you need above 400 degrees. Will your space heater put out that much, it would seem to me that it would be set up to deliver maybe 70 degrees to heat a shop. Trying to override its design may create a fire hazard. :o :(
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Electronics help ?

Post by SeanP »

It's something I keep thinking about building too, there is a guy here that runs a oil fired oven commercially, it's nothing to fancy he just has a oil boiler burner in the lower corner of the oven direct, he seems to get good results.
Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery

Return to “Powder Coat”