Loading Heavy Stock on Table

Share tips and tricks regarding cut cutting, material handling, metal finishing, marketing, or anything you find helpful.
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Loading Heavy Stock on Table

Post by kkroger »

I don't have a fork truck, I pick up most material in my pickup truck. So I need to be able to load it on the table usually by myself.
So I use a winch attached to the head end of the table and load from the truck directly to the table.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwV-OnFXLNs
I am using the 120VAC 1500# Winch from Harbor Freight...

Not happy with the Chatty "Help" that was on hand while I was trying to video unloading a 306# Plate of AR500 with the winch... and a new clamp, this one is a Vise Grip Style.
Again designed as a body pull clamp... Worked pretty good, easier to install as well.
From STECK
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Loading Heavy Stock on Table

Post by exapprentice »

Hi KKroger

Have you thought about putting a section of tubing on the slats before the plate tip's :?:
might make the sheet travel over the slats a little easier ;) and probably be a bit more gentle than your video is showing on your table :shock:
Not sure how you would then get the tube out from under the sheet (yet) still only a suggestion :roll:
Loading sheet is a problem especially 10'x5'x1/8" something I have to sort out as well, best method I have seen so far is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubyRYxWP4dU

real simple, just have to have enough space to use it :!:

best regards
exapprentice
Best Regards to all
Exapprentice :D
(Pete)
10'x5' DIY table / PM 45XP + M/C Torch - Trying to add 4 axis Tube cutting :(
Linux/CommandCandCNC MP3600 / PN200 / DCP-01 / PWM
Solid Edge, Inkscape, SheetCam, Scananything & Andonstar USB Microscope
kkroger
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Loading Heavy Stock on Table

Post by kkroger »

I have a 39" conveyor roller on the foot end of the table at this time... but the material up to about 3/4" slides across the slats easy enough. Those plates were about a foot above the table so a roller would not help much... Let me know how that method holds up to a 600# 4x10 plate of AR500...
That was 6mm (1/4") that he loaded... and 3mm(11Ga) and 8mm (5/16) a FULL 4'x10' sheet of 1/4" would weigh about 400#... a 4'x10' plate of 3/8" ar500 weighs right at 611#...

that plate was not even whole... it had holes in it... Yeah I know... Generally I don't keep big stuff on hand, I do keep 3/16 Plate and 18Ga Sheet mostly... soon to have MORE of that on hand!
The Thicker stuff is a one off thing.

So for all that material how do you get it off the truck?

Return to “Tech Tips From Other Members”