compressor enclosure for noise

Share tips and tricks regarding cut cutting, material handling, metal finishing, marketing, or anything you find helpful.
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

compressor enclosure for noise

Post by _Ogre »

some compressors are just too noisy to have in the same shop space
while this enclosure may not work for everyone, it could be adapted to any compressor
my own craftsman 5hp shop compressor is under the stairs in my barn to keep the noise level down

when we moved to the new shop 10 yrs ago we used a ingersoll rand t30 compressor, rated at 24 cfm, 7.5 hp, 240/480v, 3 phase
we used it hard, had to rebuild the head every couple years, new motor 5 yrs ago
it was great for a couple of employees using air tools, but not so good for 5 employees, air tools, paint booth and a plasma table
it finally died from overheating :cry:

we used this gardner denver compressor in our old shop 15 yrs ago, where it had it's own room away from anyone
i had purchased it from an ex-employer when they upgraded to a screw compressor
it is a beast. rated at 36 cfm, 10 hp, 240/480v, 3 phase
it has cast iron cup valves that clatter and get louder as the pressure builds
it's so noisy that it drowned out any conversation 200 ft away :shock:

we pulled it out of storage to replace the t30 compressor when it died and have it setup in the fab shop
a couple sheets of plywood and a roll of egg-crate style sound dampener foam later; we can now converse standing next to it
we started the enclosure off the original shipping crate using a few 2x2 studs and plywood screwed together
it has an internal baffle to keep the noise down and a 240v furnace fan that comes on with the on switch
the fan runs all day and helps to keep the head, motor and tank cool, while the compressor cycles
the whole interior is covered in egg-crate sound dampening foam
access doors allow us to check the oil level, drain condensate and service the air filter
the main air valve is located outside the enclosure on the far end

bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
see&see
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: compressor enclosure for noise

Post by see&see »

We built a room for the compressor outside. I ran the pump hot line directly inside the shop into a fan cooled condenser with drain pot and on to the refrigerated dryer, then back through the wall into the tank. The tank bottom drain is always dry, it's an old tank and I was afraid of draining rusty (metal) water every day.

I plumbed the drain valve inside the shop to make it easy to check when the weather gets cold. The doors are sealed pretty well on the compressor room and the ambient air is pulled down from the soffit louvers. The compressor noise is barely noticeable inside the shop. I also put the 15 HP roto-phase 3 phase rotary converter in the compressor room to keep the noise down in the shop.

The down draft table vent is to the right side of the compressor room. It will turn the side of the shop a dark color below the louvers so I hose it off once a week to keep things looking clean.

As an aside, we are in the Nevada high desert and never had the crazy humidity levels we have now. 80 to 90%! :o I had to add a desiccant and a motor guard filter going into the Hypertherm cutter to keep moisture vapor accumulation out of the torch hose and unloading on me about once a month. That really messes up a good cut for 6 inches or so when that water decides to leave a low spot. :oops:

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

You marry into the PlasmaCam family and must accept the fact your software and hardware are proprietary. It's a for better or for worse engagement with overwhelming security. PlasmaCam controls the computer, table, hardware to their advantage IMO. :x

Return to “Tech Tips From Other Members”