cleaning metal

Share tips and tricks regarding cut cutting, material handling, metal finishing, marketing, or anything you find helpful.
salambert6
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

cleaning metal

Post by salambert6 »

Hello all, love this community website! My husband and I are trying to start our own business and this site is great to learn from! My husband has been in the welding and fabrication business for 20 years now and decided to go out on his own. He is trying to clean and paint our artwork but doesn't seem to get it done fast enough. (So he thinks!) So we are wondering if there are any tricks or tips that anybody has as to cleaning and painting. Right now he uses a wire wheel brush and then sandblasts and sometimes has to go back over the metal with the wire wheel (because he's a perfectionist!). Then he blows off all the dust and on to our paint booth for painting. Has anybody used an etching solution? I was also wondering if it makes a difference in steel. We are buying P & O steel, which he think cuts easier and doesn't have as much slag. As for painting, we are spraying primer and black for now but eventually want to learn how to powder coat and learn about patina. Any input would be greatly appreciated and God bless all of you that have contributed to this website! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: cleaning metal

Post by AnotherDano »

Powder coating is the way to go if you can afford the start-up costs. I'm using a residential over/under oven and wish I'd held out for an under-counter oven as they tend to be bigger. The oven size is the only limit to your projects using powder coating.

Visit the forum at powderbuythepound.com and spend a weekend catching up. The members are super friendly and there is a thread covering just about any question you may have. Use the 'search' function.

My oven; Craigslist, $100.00
EZ-50 gun; $550.00
Compressor; Had one already. You don't need much. I shoot at around 20psi.

Your husband being a metal worker will already have angle grinders and most everything else you'll need.

I use a wire brush in an angle grinder or a flapdisk for the dross.

For cleaning prior to coating use acetone, beadblast, alcohol spray and a light pass with a propane torch to burn off the 'fuzzies'. Use disposable nylex gloves after blasting - no skin oils after that step.

Keep us posted on your decisions and progress!

I went with powder because I HATE PAINT!!!
Also look into heat coloring and some of the chemical coloring too. Use the search functions.
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
JPEnterprise
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by JPEnterprise »

Have you ever seen a miracle well get ready. Go to steel f/x and get his book http://plasmaspider.com/shop/steelfx.html. I bet you be well asking your self why you have not been doing his method for years already. Let me know what you think about his way to clean? When i learned how to clean his way i have not cleaned anyway else it comes right off the plasma table into the tank.Thanks again STEELF/X. JAMES J.P.ENTERPRISE
Fountaine
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Fountaine »

You can clean with a tank of muratic (sp) acid. Been told this works well. I use a 4" angle grinder with the overlapping sanding disk. This cleans metal quite well and does not scratch like a hard wheel.

I started painting with hammered spray paint. It hides imperfections and my customers like it. I use Rust-o-leum. There are limited colors but again looks good.
Charlene
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Charlene »

When people say "clean it with acetone", how do you apply it. So far, everything I have used leaves too much lint which I then have to clean off with a torch. What has everyone found to be the easiest? Thanks!
JJsCustomDesigns
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by JJsCustomDesigns »

i havent tried acid yet. But i use a wire wheel on my 4 1/2" grinder. it knocks, whatever slag is left on the piece, off ina hurry. I can clean a 36" x 36" sign with over 1500" of cutting in bout 10-15 minutes.
"There are bigger things planned for you in your life, be patient"

Im on the prowl for a good used Hypertherm Plasma with hand torch.
PM me with details
Thanks
steelfx
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by steelfx »

JJsCustomDesigns wrote:i havent tried acid yet. But i use a wire wheel on my 4 1/2" grinder. it knocks, whatever slag is left on the piece, off ina hurry. I can clean a 36" x 36" sign with over 1500" of cutting in bout 10-15 minutes.
Might be time to try an acid tank~~
It's not pure acid, so it's safe & very fast. You could do 20 - 36"x36" pieces in 10-15 minutes.
That's 30 seconds per piece~it's a real time-saver.

Bill
:D

ps. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE!
Charlene
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Charlene »

Do you end up having to use acetone? What about the those of you that aren't using an acid bath?
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

Charlene wrote:Do you end up having to use acetone? What about the those of you that aren't using an acid bath?
Hi Charlene,

I don't use acetone for any of my pre-paint or pre-patina processes. I do use it for "erasing" mistakes with the
Metal Solvent Dyes or for cleaning my airbrushes.

The guys that do their own powder-coating may have valid reasons for using acetone, so hopefully they'll answer you, as well. The metal pieces I take to my powder-coater are sanded, phosphate etched (sometimes) & wiped down with a tack rag prior to shooting the powder & I've never had any problems.

Bill :D
Charlene
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Charlene »

Thanks Bill. I really appreciate the info. Merry Christmas!

Return to “Tech Tips From Other Members”