Nozzle gel

Share tips and tricks regarding cut cutting, material handling, metal finishing, marketing, or anything you find helpful.
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Nozzle gel

Post by Shane Warnick »

Does anyone use any nozzle gel (same thing you put on a mig gun) to prevent buildup of dross / goobers from piercing on the nozzle / shield on your torch? I have heard about people using cooking spray and anti spatter spray on the top of the plate to prevent dross from puddling / building up when piercing, especially when piercing thicker plate, but can't seem to find anything about using it on the torch itself. I have tried it, seems to work ok and keeps the nozzle and shield clean, doesn't seem to be any adverse effects that I can find. I haven't used it long enough to say for sure it's great or if I will run into some problem it creates down the road, just wondering if anyone else has. If so, any downside?
Thanks
Shane
Largemouthlou
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Nozzle gel

Post by Largemouthlou »

I use the anti splatter spray on my nozzles and shields all the time..
1250 hypertherm
4 X 8 Precision Plasma
CandCnC electronics
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

Me too.
weldor2005
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by weldor2005 »

Its spatter not splatter. Welders pet-peeve sorry.
David Finch CWI

Plenty of welders
Plasmacam 4x4 with DHC2
PowerMax 45
Lots of other toys
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by jimcolt »

Don't use the "dip" or gel on a plasma torch....use the spray. I find that the water based sprays do as good of a job and make much less of an impact on secondary operations (paint or other coatings.).

A little anti-spatter sprayed on the bottom of a hard to cut part that is often drossy ( a lot of close cut paths that build heat will form dross) will often minimize or eliminate dross. Also, a little anti spatter on the top of the plate at the pierce points will eliminate the pierce slag pile....which can cause cut anomalies at the end of the cut when the torch has to run over the pile. When I am plasma cutting relatively small holes I get much rounder holes when anti-spatter is on the top of the plate. try it!

It is cheaper to buy in gallon jugs, put it in a sprayer and keep it handy.

Jim Colt
VSAW
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by VSAW »

We used to spray the metal as well. Works great.
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

Thanks for the replies guys.

Jim,
what is the downside to using the dip or gel on a plasma torch? I assume you are speaking from experience, just curious. Thanks
Shane
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

If the gel gets inside the torch it will affect the life of the consumables. If you are careful with it and just brush it on the outside of the shield it works fine. Most welders that use the gel (that I have seen) dip the end of their Mig gun in it....and it gets everywhere. Do this with a plasma torch and you will experience shorter consumable parts life.

Jim Colt

Shane Warnick wrote:Thanks for the replies guys.

Jim,
what is the downside to using the dip or gel on a plasma torch? I assume you are speaking from experience, just curious. Thanks
Shane
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

Thanks again Jim. Have a good weekend.
Shane
tm america
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tm america »

I tried using the jell on my shield and on the bottom of the plate . The jell didnt seem to help any on the tip or shield only cause it to jump arc to it easier when peircing which helped burn up the consumables. Seems to do wonders for a mig tip as welding tips see less temperature than plasma cutting ..As far as the coating the plate it helped only slightly on stell i tried it on aluminum and it discolored the pieces but did seem to help give it a more consistant cut.I think this was due to the piece being clear coated .The jell seemd to act as a flux and helped give the arc more continuity with the piece while cutting

Return to “Tech Tips From Other Members”