Stainless Steel Cutting Tips

Share tips and tricks regarding cut cutting, material handling, metal finishing, marketing, or anything you find helpful.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Stainless Steel Cutting Tips

Post by jimcolt »

Cutting steel with an air plasma is two processes, exothermic oxidation of the steel (like an oxy-fuel torch) combined with the high temperature thermal (melting) process of the 25,000 degree plasma jet. Steel cuts best with an air plasma.

Cutting stainless is single part: Thermal cutting. In order to get the edge angularity as good as possible and to minimize edge roughness...the torch needs to run close and fast. To do the best job on thin stainless you need a highly responsive height control, FineCut consumables and a machine that has excellent acceleration and high cutting speeds.

Jim Colt
biggator850
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Stainless Steel Cutting Tips

Post by biggator850 »

Jim,

I have been trying to get my machine dialed in to cut some 18ga stainless. I have tried some simple small flanges with bolt holes on some scrap to see how it would perform. I have adjusted the acceleration settings in Mach3 and my machine is now running pretty well at 300 plus IPM. Your post above recommends running FineCut consumables. Several years ago I remember reading a post you had about FineCut consumables, and I think you told me to use FineCut nozzles with the standard shielding cap. For stainless is it better to run the standard shielding cap or the one made for FineCut nozzles?

Sincerely,
BC
EverydayDiesel
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by EverydayDiesel »

What is the target ipm for cutting stainless? is there a chart somewhere?
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Here is the Hypertherm cut chart for Low Speed FineCut Stainless Steel. The FineCut consumables are recommend for 10 ga. and thinner as they put less heat into the work piece and allow for a narrower kerf width.
David
Hypertherm Low Speed FineCut Stainless Steel.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Return to “Tech Tips From Other Members”