Pierce Height, Cut Height, Height Control Explained

Share tips and tricks regarding cut cutting, material handling, metal finishing, marketing, or anything you find helpful.
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Pierce Height, Cut Height, Height Control Explained

Post by jimcolt »

Every different brand of torch height control uses some different terms for the critical functions of height control. What is important to consumable parts life is the Pierce Height and the Pierce Delay time....the proper settings for both of these is listed in the mechanized cut charts in your Powermax85 operators manual. With your height control there is another function called "ignition height"....which is for some plasma systems that cannot start the arc at the pierce height...as it is too far from the plate. With your Powermax85 you should set ignition height and pierce height the same.

Cut height occurs after the torch starts moving....it will index down closer to the cut height....which again is listed in the cut charts in your Powermax85 operators manual. On most materials it will be .06" with thye 85. Arc voltage control takes over a short distance into the cut....you can set the arc voltage to the voltage setting in the Powermax85 cut chart as a starting point, then, if you notice the torch is running higher or lower than the cut height (.06")...adjust the voltage setting to a higher voltage for a higher height...or lower voltage for a lower height.

The following is an explanation of how a height control system works.

There are 3 cut height settings on a good quality THC. Pierce height, cut height, and arc voltage control.

1. Pierce height is preset by the operator to the plasma torch manufacturers recomended pierce height for a given material and thickness. The THC indexes down to the plate before the torch fires, locates the plate (there are a few different methods for sensing the top surface of the plate), then retracts to the pierce height. The torch then fires.....and should stay in place, no x y or z movement, until the pierce delay (recommended by the torch manufacturer for each thickness) times out.

2. Cut height is preset by the operator according to torch manufacturers recommended cut height. As soon as the pierce delay times out the torch rapidly indexes down to the cut height. At the same time x and y motion begin driving the torch through the part program.

3. Arc voltage control uses feedback from the plasma system to measure the voltage between the electrode (negative) and the plate (positive). (some call this "tip volts", which is incorrect as the torch nozzle is known as the "tip", yet it is the electrode and plate that the voltage is referenced from) At a given cut speed and fixed torch to work distance this voltage remains constant. If the plate is warped so that it moves away from the torch during steady state cutting...the arc between the electrode and the plate gets longer, a longer arc means the voltage gets higher. The torch height control see's an increase in arc voltage and signals the z axis drive to move the torch closer to the plate. Arc voltage monitoring takes over torch height functions as soon as the machine is within a certain percentage of the programmed cut speed.....so as soon as acceleration gets the machine to a certain speed...the arc voltage control takes over. Consequently when the x and y motion decelerates below this threshold percentage...the avc is disabled so the the torch does not dive during corner or small feature slowdown events .

If your torch height noticeably changes during the transition between cut height and avc, then you should adjust your arc voltage setting so that there is no change during this transition. So, if the torch indexes to cut height, starts moving, then moves further away from the plate....reduce the arc voltage setting. A rule of thumb is that 5 volts will equal approximately .020" torch movement......so reducing arc voltage by 5 volts will move the torch closer to the plate by roughly .020", increasing voltage will do the opposite.

Things that affect torch height when operating in avc (arc voltage control)

1. Gas pressure fluctuation. Changing gas pressure changes the resistance of the plasma arc, which changes the arc voltage.

2. Speed change. Slower cut speed makes the kerf wider, which means the arc is longer, which means the voltage is higher...so the THC moves the torch closer to the plate.

3. Worn electrode. Plasma electrodes wear by forming a pit in the hafnium emitter. If the pit is .020" deep, the torch will run closer to the plate by .020"....as the arc is .020" longer and the height control is trying to maintain a constant voltage.

Bottom line....the proper physical height is more important than setting the exact arc voltage that is listed in the plasma torch manufacturers manual. Adjust the voltage so the physical height is correct...don't worry about the voltage reading!

Jim Colt Hypertherm
Rtodahl01
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Pierce Height, Cut Height, Height Control Explained

Post by Rtodahl01 »

Very good explanation.
It will help with my thc setup
TJCustoms4x4
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by TJCustoms4x4 »

Awesome explanation this helped me a lot understand how it works. Thank you
jerirl
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by jerirl »

thank you jim colt. you're a stand up feller
Plasron
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Plasron »

Thanks Jimcolt
Very informative, usefully important.
Windows 10 64 bit laptop
Gorilla 4x4 table
Proma torch height control
Gecko mini gender changer to USB
Everlast 80 S Plasma cutter
Mach3
Sheetcam
Inkscape
QCAD.
Welder Kenny
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Welder Kenny »

yes Thank you Jim, I understand what's happening with the electrode now, going to watch my Zed axis and keep torch at .06 regardless of THC voltage.
Welder Kenny
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Welder Kenny »

Jim Colt, As always you are correct, I just cut some A.R. 500 3/8 thick set my thc at 95 and bam, when I started the cut zed stayed at .06 as it traversed across the cut it did raise to .122 for about 15 sec then back down to .06 finished up the cut. Thank you for all your help.
Hole Shot Garage
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Hole Shot Garage »

Is the Pierce height whats creating the large hole at the beginning and end of my straight cuts, beginning and end of the cut line ? would that mean torch height is to high or to low ?
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

Is the Pierce height whats creating the large hole at the beginning and end of my straight cuts, beginning and end of the cut line ?
Most likely those holes are caused by the pierce delay. The torch is piercing and staying still too long after it has pierced the material. You want it to move immediately after it has pierced.
Do some searches in these forums, there has been a lot of discussion and solutions suggested for those pierce holes.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

Hole Shot Garage wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:01 pm Is the Pierce height whats creating the large hole at the beginning and end of my straight cuts, beginning and end of the cut line ? would that mean torch height is to high or to low ?
Could be both pierce height or delay, set both to the Hypertherm specs. Also use lead in's so your piercing in the waste material and not on your finished edge.
Hole Shot Garage
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Hole Shot Garage »

Thanks , I have been building some test cuts to try and get the best cut I can by making minor adjustments . I am getting closer , just takes time. I am not a patient person, I am a prodigy of the 80's, "I want it all and I want it now" lol..
Dsilverarc33
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Dsilverarc33 »

Whats the "transfer height do? its recently been added in in update on Torchmate VMD. For some reason if you do auto Parameters it makes the transfer and pierce height the same?
weldguy

Post by weldguy »

Dsilverarc33 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:23 pm Whats the "transfer height do? its recently been added in in update on Torchmate VMD. For some reason if you do auto Parameters it makes the transfer and pierce height the same?
I would guess that transfer height is the height you want when the torch is transferring the arc to the material, basically the same as pierce height just different terminology I suspect.

Return to “Tech Tips From Other Members”