Powder Coating Glass

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
Copp3r
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Powder Coating Glass

Post by Copp3r »

Hey folks,

I had an idea a couple of months back that it might be neat to try powder coating glass. I had a look on the internet and frankly didn't find a lot that was of too much help so I started to experiment a bit.

With a bit of a taste for rum, I tried coating a couple of bottles with limited success. Needless to say, glass doesn't conduct an electric current so here's how I went about it....

I made a flat metal base and to that I welded a piece of metal rod about 12" long. With the bottle washed out and the label removed, I loaded the bottle neck down so that the metal rod goes up through the opening.

I put it in my oven ( just using an old kitchen stove for small jobs... bought it for $50 and put a 220 plug on it ! ) and heated the oven to 400 F for about 20 minutes.

Next, I loaded some transparent Candy Purple in my powder coat gun & REMOVED the disk at the end of the metal electrode. Why remove the disk? I tried powder coating a couple of other pieces and the disk deflected the powder out and away from the glass. With the 3/4" disk removed, the powder came out in a nice conical shape and DIRECTLY out the front of the gun and on to the glass surface...

With the glass bottle nice and hot, I removed it from the oven and IMMEDIATELY started to apply the powder. With the glass being extremely hot, you can watch as the powder adheres to and then melts on to the glass surface. When applied properly you'll see a nice smooth finish appear.

Turning the metal plate (and thereby the bottle) around in a circle, the glass was covered in a couple of minutes and then back in the oven for 15 minutes to bake.

Here's the result...
Candy Purple - glass bottle.jpg
For any of you that may be interested or see an application for it...

NB: I've tried a couple of 'solid' colors and I didn't like the outcome. The Candy Purple being transparent really shows off the finish in either sunlight or room lighting.

Cheers !

Copp3r / roger

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: Powder Coating Glass

Post by Gamelord »

Thanks a ton for the info and the picture, that's pretty awesome.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Powder Coating Glass

Post by abmetal »

My powder coating guy coated a bunch of light bulbs for a bar....looked good. He also coats wood speaker cabinets but the plywood has to be made with high temp glue. I'm amazed at some of the things he does.

Allen

Return to “Powder Coat”