Retail space

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Retail space

Post by wickedinhere »

I have been thinking about opening a a small store because business has been great and people always want to see my work. I dont really have a place to display my work except when I go to farmers markets. I have been looking for a small
place to rent to see how things work out without spending too much money. I have looked high and low and my findings are that renting a small place will cost around 1500.00 a month even in a small town. I think that is way too high by the time i add electricity and other cost I would be around 2000.00 per month and cant see selling that much to make a profit.
Has anyone tried to do a retail store for their metal art?
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Retail space

Post by AnotherDano »

My situation is the same as yours. Small town, good tourist season but no off-season traffic. The rent here isn't too bad IF you can find an open space.
Don't forget the costs of staffing. Sitting in a store waiting for those 10/week tire kickers or that rare buying customer takes a lot of time away from actually making things to sell. Everyone says they would like to see our stuff on display at a place and time of their convienience, but are they willing to support it? These 9-5 people think we can work all night (plus weekends) making stuff and be at the store 9-6.

We have a co-op that is staffed by the members one day a week (each), but they are trying too hard to fill the place with their own stuff and promote only things they make. Walking into the place overwhelms a customer - there is so much 'stuff' on display that nothing stands out. You can't see the trees for the forest. A co-op might be the answer, but not like the one we have. I've talked to a lot of small operations like myself, from custom leather carvers and potters to artists in single and multi-media pieces. Most just don't seem interested. Some are convinced that their products just won't sell themselves and that they must be present to talk the customers into buying. It's that craft-show mentality.

My model would be more like a high-end permanent flea-market style store, staffed with a retired person working on a commission basis. I'd be looking for someone who can, with just a 'look', can say 'if you have to ask the price, you probably shouldn't be here' and another 'look' that says; 'no, the artist won't take twenty bucks less. Someone with a suit or dress that likes being around and promoting what we make. No jeans/T-shirts.
No offshore junk and local or regional products only.

We DO have a place here in Laramie just like that. It's a State sponsored program that is designed to help local small-scale artists with support. It's aligned with the SBA and programs run by the University of Wyoming. Our tax dollars at work. (Google; Works of Wyoming Laramie). The have a small 'store/gallery' in a good retail spot downtown, staffed five days a week with people who get to know the artist and actively promote the items for sale. 30% commission is well worth the visibility. That's a lot better than the private galleries who just use our creations to decorate their stores and attract customers who buy the tourist-trap stuff, charging us 50% or more for the privilage of wasting our time.

In this economy, you may be able to find a retail store willing to rent some wall space that is visible through the front window and either sell things off that wall or at least direct an interested customer to you.
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
tdalechick
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by tdalechick »

I was wanting to do the same....I found a place in my small town that sold furniture and pay them a commission so far it has worked out good....People can see my work and they can contact me if they want anything custom or I can meet them down there when I am in town. It helps me get started in the business and see what will sale. I also have some items at a small local hamburger bar....and It seems to catch peoples eyes. So you might ask local restaurants if they can display your items even and atleast get your name out there and have business cards to contact you....
jmsrbrt
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by jmsrbrt »

wickedinhere wrote:I have been thinking about opening a a small store....
Around here we have several craft flea markets that rent space. I've seen several people, myself included, rent a spot of ground for a small monthly fee, then build a semi-permanent building on it. Some people get creative and build a small two story...sleep in the upper, sell in the lower. Bob
Torchmate 2 with ATHC & Water table
Corel 12, Turbo Cad
TD Cutmaster 51
San Marcos, Texas
vbtj
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by vbtj »

I live near a decent size town and a place opened back in September that is like a high-end flea market. I got in before the opening and I'm still the only metal artist in there. I pay rent on a small booth and a 10% comission fee. All I have to do is price the stuff and keep it stocked they do the rest. We've been averaging between 45-55 items sold each month till this month. I've sold 86 items in 17 days and it shows no signs of letting up plus I've filled a ton of custom orders also. I find that if you can keep prices between $30-$50 on pieces those are what sell the best. I have everthing powder coated but I try to stay away from just plain blacks and browns since that is what you find in the hobby stores. All in all it's been a great success for me and it's perfect for what most of us do especially if your like me and still work a full time job and do this on the side.

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”