Flea Market

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
kbenz
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Flea Market

Post by kbenz »

The wife and I set up at the local flea market today. Didn't sell a thing. Met a lot of people. Was told by several I was wasting my time there and should find some craft shows to set up at.
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Flea Market

Post by wickedinhere »

Maybe try a farmers market, flea markets are normally full of junk.
jmsrbrt
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by jmsrbrt »

You should look for craft shows. Here in Texas, many small cities have such events that set up on the courthouse lawn. Many are free, first come first serve for a spot, but most don't offer anything (like electricity) except space for a tent. I've seen many vendors who have their wares in trailers and open up shop in the parking lot.
Torchmate 2 with ATHC & Water table
Corel 12, Turbo Cad
TD Cutmaster 51
San Marcos, Texas
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

I agree with Wicked.
If customers see you at a flea market, it is assumed that you have the same junk everyone else has,,, just a different color.

For the last two summers, I've set up a booth at the local farmers market. In this town of 30,000 it's the 'social event' of the week. For the first couple of months I had no lookers but they had to get used to seeing me there consistantly. That let them know that I wasn't just somebody who happened to be in town, never to be seen again.

I took a couple of years but I sold some shiney stuff from the display and passed out a LOT of business cards. Now People know that I'm in business and orders are coming in.

My business started with "Signs, Designs, Parts and Art" on my card. I just let the market lead my business. This Spring it looks like the short-run "parts" is going to be the right path. It is paramount to be the guy that 'somebody knows'. But they have to know you're out there.When the City Council wanted a keyring momento for a convention, somebody remembered me. I cut and powder coated 350 little cowboy boots for the attendees. When the Capitol Christmas Tree came through town a couple of years ago, the council wanted a special ornament to present to the US Forest service, somebody on the committee remembered me. I got that job and cut fifty extras. They were sold as numbered special edition pieces.

You will become known by the company you keep. A flea market is not the place to become known to the people you want be your customers. Never respond to anyone who asks if you will take less for your creations or everyone will assume that your reduction is the new standard price.
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
steelfx
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by steelfx »

Very Good Advice!
kbenz