What sells at metal art shows

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
vega_winnfield
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

What sells at metal art shows

Post by vega_winnfield »

I was thinking of getting in some local art shows this summer, was wondering if you guys have had much experience in that area. If so what seems to sell the best at these events. I dont want to cut out a bunch of stuff and never sell anything. thanks, Vega
ronsii
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: What sells

Post by ronsii »

When we did shows anytime we went heavy on one or two items we didn't sell as much, It seems like the best shows were when we took a little of everything... including the kitchen sink :D Kind of the shotgun aproach
jmsrbrt
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by jmsrbrt »

Ditto on the shotgun approach. You never know what will strike someone's fancy, but you can get an idea about the area you're in. Lot of ex-military around here, and Army/Navy/Air force logos sell pretty regularly, along with anything dealing with fish. Bob.
ornametals
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ornametals »

i've found that lawn stakes sell well, for the quick sell. always room to make them in some corner of a sheet. and then press to sell bigger items like clocks ans large sun dails. also thinking about small free stand chalk boards that you can set on the counter(pigs, roosters, etc.) they have chalk board spray paint.
minnfatz
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by minnfatz »

I made some cool wine racks, different welcom signs, crosses, and a few other things and I didn't sell any of that the one show I did this spring. I did sell the cheap Chinese crap that was colorful and shiny that I brought as filler for the tables, so I would recommend selling stuff like that if the show is gonna have a bunch of blue hairs running around. Wind chimes, garden stakes, and other stuff like that sells at your typical craft show.
aicomp
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by aicomp »

Hi All,
I find that if I research the type of area I'm going to, such as rural ranching , city, or etc. , You can get an idea of what people are interested in. Look in the local shops and see what sells there. I also leave cards with the local shops in the areas I visit.
Just my $.02
Mike 8-)
http://www.PenningtonFab.com
Torchmate 3 with Accumove 3
Hypertherm 1250
Hypertherm 85
Hypertherm 380
Lincoln V205T Tig
Lincoln wirematic 250
Eastwood 175 with Spoolgun
Eastwood 135 Mig
vega_winnfield
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by vega_winnfield »

Thanks for all the replys
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

I'm going to try a new idea this year at my display table. While we all need the 'shiny things' on display, that will hopefully pay for the booth space, my real money and business is in custom signs.

I'm going to make generic signs/wall hangings for the 'gotta have it now' crowd. They will all be powder coated and pretty, but along with them, I'll have some that are un-coated with a little card that suggests adding a name, etc. The idea I want to plant is that there are some ready to customize, just waiting for them. Of course, I'll cut a whole new sign for them - a lot easier that lining up a pre-cut piece and hoping I get it straight. :o

Another thing I'm hoping will work is planter/yard stakes shown in an 'actual use' setting. There is a new florist in town and I want to give her a little leg-up, so I came up with the idea to have her make a couple of silk flower arrangement in clay pots for me to show these stakes in. These can be seasonably designed and the display piece color matched for the arrangement. A plus could be that customers can be driven to her business and a reciprocal arrangement be the result. She might see a market for the flowerpot stakes and become an outlet for them.

I'm a HUGE believer in small businesses working together for a common benefit.

Other than that, I'm still waiting for someone to let me use their crystal ball. As we all are.
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”