Monthly rent charge for cnc plasma table

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
fabguy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Monthly rent charge for cnc plasma table

Post by fabguy »

I work full time in a steel fab shop and also do side work from my own shop, I built my own plasma table about 4 years ago and have used it mainly for cutting out parts for my full time job. My boss recently asked me about bringing it to his shop where it could be used at any point of the day when needed instead of having to wait for parts the next day. I see this as a good/bad situation. Take it to his shop: he saves $$ I lose $$ ; if I don't take it then he buys a table and I lose that extra income. If I were to take it to his shop what should be charged for its use?

Thanks!
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Monthly rent charge for cnc plasma table

Post by djreiswig »

Maybe sell it to him. You make money, he saves money. Then you can build a better one.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

If the table is at his shop you cannot control when it is used, He could come in after hours and cut parts you loose.
How about if he pays you to cut parts at you shop as part of your 8 to 5 time?
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Think very carefully before you agree to this. And remember something else that I hear all the time. Many employers say one thing in the beginning then change that once you’re in.

Is your boss going to learn, and/or teach other employees, how to use your plasma table. Then your skills become less valuable because himself and others can use it. He could also then decide to invest in his own table, then you’ve lost it all.
It also makes you become more expendable if push comes to shove. Others have gained your hard earned skills.

What about your evening and weekend work. All of a sudden you lose all of that, unless your boss gives you the keys to the shop for 24/7 access.

Yes you could sell him the table but how much would you get for it, and how long would it have taken you to earn that in any case from the business you do for him. Would selling it be a short term gain for a much larger long term loss.

I have no idea if your boss is a great fair guy, or the opposite, but just think carefully of all the pros and cons and make a decision that you think is best for YOU.

If your table does end up in his shop, you'd better get some legal document drawn up which proves that table is your property and you have a legal right to come and get it back at any time.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

I can see that arrangement having the potential to go south in a hurry.
You could possibly loose the table and the job.
With that said, I'm gonna be different and recommend keeping the table at your place
lockeyone
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by lockeyone »

You can't win with this one. You have shown him the value of the table and either way he will get one. He is a boss/owner and it is just business. Me, have an agreement in place with your current table and maybe build your self a bigger better one and hopefully get rent to help pay for the new one.
Table 4'x4', BladeRunner EtherCut 620 LINUX w/CommandCNC
Hypertherm 65 CPC/RS485 Machine torch 2016
BobCad router 50"x50" MACH3 2kw spindle 2003
Shoptask Eldorado cnc MACH3, 1999
Epilog Mini 24 60watt, 2013
Vectric Aspire CoralDraw x6 SheetCam
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

The best thing you can do here is stay out of it. If he wants to contract you to do cutting for him on the side then maybe do some of that but do not move your table into his shop or give any other employees access to it. If your boss doesn't understand that arrangement then you're better off finding another job.. Just my 2 cents.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

My Machine is about the same age as yours and I would do it in a way that appeals to him as well.
The price of the machine is (Cost of all componet's you wan't for the next one and) you get to use your old one to help build the new one after the move;
50/50 on cut inches on the Machine Until double the value of the machine is paid? May not take long?
Who is the technician & Troubleshooter I hear Tom makes house calls :lol: & what is the salary! Not you tom, I have paid technicians enough that you may spend the day, And bring parts. Not my dime :oops:
Theses are in the job description ect.
Who pay's repairs? And the Visa # I will be using!

Does he rub you'r back around Christmas or you wouldn't be thinking about it?

And what are your thoughts? You are in a tough one my friend and I wish you the best; Please advise further but I wouldn't let him do the research and make his mind up first.
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Inkscape, Solid Edge, Sheetcam, Autocad 2K
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber
fabguy
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by fabguy »

If I were to take it to his shop I would have to be the only person running it, no training of other employees, I would have the PC in a cabinet with a lock, all consumables and expenses for it would be on his dime, and I would charge over 50% on the cut inches.
It makes more money where it is but I also want a table with scribe and pipe cutter. It has done quite well for me the last 2 years and the thought of it not being in my shop on a weekend when I need it would be an issue. The reason it was built in the first place was to make money, for me! So it looks like it will stay where it is.
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

Just my cynical perspective...you can have it under lock and key all you want, but other people will learn how to run it. Even if it's just him (or another employee) "watching to see how it's done, because it's cool". Eventually, there will be a need for a part while you're not there (instant availability is the whole reason for wanting it there, right), and there will be pressure to let someone else run it.

I would definitely keep it locked up, put password on the computer, etc. You would also want to consider other people using it as a work surface ("I'll just sit my parts on top of this big flat table for a moment", which may turn to welding on it, banging on it, etc), or general shop hazards. Cables/torch leads on the floor to get ran over, etc.

There's a way to make this into a win for everyone. You'll need to make sure your investment (time, materials, equipment, expertise, etc) is protected, or at least compensated).
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”