What size table?

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
ranchonodinero
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

What size table?

Post by ranchonodinero »

Looking at systems and tables and am curious as to what size is recommended for a home shop looking at creating signs, parts, and art. Goal would be to find a market. This would be a part time endeavor. Also, for those engaged in sales, how long to pay for your table? I suppose the proper word would be ROI (return on investment).

Thanks!
Ranchonodinero
jbeaver72
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Re: What size table?

Post by jbeaver72 »

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago. I decided to build my own with a 5’x10’ Precision Plasma gantry, CandCNC controls, and a Hypertherm Powermax 85. My thinking was a 4’x8’ would be more common, so I’d have a better chance of finding a niche market with a 5’x10’.

So far, I’ve been really happy with the setup. It’ll take a while to work all of the bugs out, but it’s performing well.

As far as ROI goes, I’m guessing I can recoup my investment in 1 1/2 to 2 years. I’m still working a full time job, so I can’t put 100% of my time into it. I’m also still testing the market, ironing out pricing, finishes, etc.

Good luck, James
5'x10' DIY with Precision Plasma Gantry and CandCNC controls
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Scratch »

I have a 4x8 table and it's very rare that I cut out anything in the other end of the table. All my slats on the front end of my table are pretty much welded together with slag, and the slats on the other end of the table look nearly brand new. Not that I don't do the occasional long piece, but I rarely do. A 4x4 sign is pretty large and I think you could easily get lots of jobs for it. You can also figure out ways to make longer pieces. I know I've done my share of "fixes" on stuff I've goofed up on. (Welding and grinding the seam)
Signs, parts, art... Most of that stuff isn't more than 48" so you'll probably be fine. Remember you gotta carry that stuff to the art fairs.

Keep in mind though, some shops, like the one I go to... Charge 20.00 per cut, to cut a sheet in half. That can add up quickly if you're buying a bunch of sheets. I know some people still buy full 4x8 sheets though, and set up a stand to cut them on their table so that's an option.

if you can handle the 4x8 table size in your shop, along with the extra cost, I'd say go big... But I won't say "go big or go home" There's plenty of work for a 4x4 table in my opinion.

I paid for my table in about 2 years just selling beadlock kits online for off road vehicles, but I lucked out as DIY beadlock kits were pretty new at the time and there were like 2 other major players making them.
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

We started out with a 4x4 table and then eventually upgraded to a 5x10. We've only utilized the 5' width 5-6 times in the 7 years we've had the table and the 10' length maybe 5-6 times a year, mainly for fire rings. But we do cut production parts on a regular basis and that's where we use the 4'x8' space. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably consider extending our 4x4 to an 8' but hindsight's 20/20. I do know I sure got tired of indexing on the 4x4 table.

Allen

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”