Promotional Giveaways

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
suity13
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Promotional Giveaways

Post by suity13 »

Hi Guys and Gals
We've been asked if we would like to contribute to a "show bag" for a conference of 4500 people, Being newbies it would be a great opportunity to get our name out, I was wondering if anyone else has done anything like this and what you made? I was thinking something useful that would get seen often and perhaps spark conversation - Perhaps a bottle opener key ring with our web address on it?
Any input is appreciated
Kind regards,
Rachel - Australia
langdoniron
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Promotional Giveaways

Post by langdoniron »

Bottle opener seems like the natural bet. I am a blacksmith by trade and give away bottle openers always seem to be one of the most kept freebies
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

Seems to be a very expensive way to get your name out. If you make 4500 of anything you are going to have a lot of money and a lot of time invested. Sounds like someone is looking for 4500 free gifts. I would say thank you but no thank you. Just my 2 cents.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
Bobkovacs
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bobkovacs »

I agree with Rick- that's a huge investment that will likely net you almost nothing.
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

If your mind is set on doing this, ask them if you can include a business card /discount coupon. If they say yes , go to Vista Print and have them print you some really nice business cards with pictures of your nicest work on them and a 25% discount on the rear. DAMN now I've got to have more cards printed. :lol: Hope things work out for you.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
michmetalman
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by michmetalman »

Hell no! lol Your ROI would not even be worth the time and money. There are so many other ways to get your name and product out there and still make money.
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

little blue choo wrote:If your mind is set on doing this, ask them if you can include a business card /discount coupon. If they say yes , go to Vista Print and have them print you some really nice business cards with pictures of your nicest work on them and a 25% discount on the rear. DAMN now I've got to have more cards printed. :lol: Hope things work out for you.

Rick
I just looked and you can get 5000 cards printed on both sides at GotPrint.com for $66.50.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Doc Hollywood
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Doc Hollywood »

I have to jump in here too and say no way. In fact, i don't do any free giveaways for anyone. I've done it 4 or 5 times, contributing to gift baskets, and charity auctions, and never gotten anything in return.
Loyd
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Loyd »

I have given away numerous items. Never received any business from them. I have even helped someone on this forum all I asked for was feedback on how it worked. Made the parts, paid the freight with no feedback.... don't give your stuff away for advertisement purposes!
My 2 cents...
De inimico non loquaris sed cogites
Do not wish ill upon your enemies, plan it.
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

We're pretty much done with that. The last straw was when we donated a layered mascot for the local school charity auction. Spent a lot of time on it. All we asked was a donation form (for tax purposes) and let us know what it sold for, and guess what...NOTHING! We didn't do it for advertisement, just wanted to help the school. Live and learn.

Allen
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

I too have found little-to-no benefit from donations. The word of mouth from existing customers brings far more attention than any donations have. I had one customer tell me the tattered flag I donated to her cause brought $400. "You'll be getting lots of calls from people wanting those!"

<crickets>

I did sell a couple hundred dollars worth of monograms after a church auction, but that's been the most successful donation situation I've run across. Most of the time, it's like sending products to Mars. Best of all are the solicitations from people you've never met, asking for donations. I've received requests from people in other parts of the country, wanting me to donate to their local <whatever>. "I saw your stuff on Etsy, and I think it would really help our..."

I politely explain that due to the nature and quality of my work, I receive a lot of donation requests. Being a small outfit, I have to limit my donations to existing/prior customers, who have helped to support the growth of the business.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by wickedinhere »

Dont do it! My experience with this is its a waste of time and money and will only get you more people asking for donations. People only want a donation then you will never hear from them again unless they want another donation.

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”