Making Licensed Products

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
DCMW
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Making Licensed Products

Post by DCMW »

I have a lot of requests for College logos and such. I do own a crafter's license for a local college, but not for others. I don't want to turn these customers away. I understand you can cut these logos out all day long, but aren't allowed to sell them. My question is, what if I didn't sell the items but "gave them away" for free, and the customer could give me a "donation" or "tip" for my services? What is everyone's thoughts?
Larry83301
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Making Licensed Products

Post by Larry83301 »

Sounds like you're selling them to me!

Larry
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

DCMW wrote:I have a lot of requests for College logos and such. I do own a crafter's license for a local college, but not for others. I don't want to turn these customers away. I understand you can cut these logos out all day long, but aren't allowed to sell them. My question is, what if I didn't sell the items but "gave them away" for free, and the customer could give me a "donation" or "tip" for my services? What is everyone's thoughts?
No one here is gonna help you split that hair... I think you know you're logic is BS and you're fishing for someone to tell you that they do something similar to justify it. You're only risking your entire business. This is the same argument people make in DC when they sell a bottled water for $20 that just happens to have some weed in a bag tied around the waterbottle neck.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
DCMW
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by DCMW »

Actually I didn't think my logic was "BS", it was an honest question from someone that's starting out. Who is also is looking for info from people willing to help and give helpful information. Not fishing for justification either, once again, looking to see if anyone else was in this position. Thanks anyways for your input.....
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

If you receive money for something (labor or material) you sold it. A Donation is something you don't expect any personal gain from.
When you put money in a red kettle at Christmas time do you expect them to carry your packages to the car for you?
Donations and tips are up to the person giving them, how would you feel it you had a stack of logos and I guy picks up one and drops $1. into you jar and walks off?
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
tcaudle
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tcaudle »

It has little to do with selling. Is about the use of a registered logo. Whether you sell it, donate it , or give it away you have to have the registered owners permission. It's their property. Giving something away that the owner of the mark makes money on, is to them the loss of a sale (harm). Making counterfeit money that looks just like real and giving it away will not keep you from getting a visit from the US Secret Service.

If you give money (consideration) and get something in return, it is a sale regardless of what you call it.

tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

I don't want to turn these customers away.
I turn them away all the time. Send them to a place that sells the copyrighted items legally or steer them to buy something of yours instead that isn't illegal.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
tirediron
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by tirediron »

What happens if you sell your piece to someone that has a craft license?
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

tirediron wrote:What happens if you sell your piece to someone that has a craft license?
If its a trademark (logo) then the same thing that happens if you sell it to anybody else. If it's a copyright issue then its up to the copyright holder to pursue the issue. Collages and schools mostly belong to an association (like IMG College) to manager their trademark and copyrighted stuff. Large corporations typically handle their own trademarks. Its a big dollar business and the associations prove their value by chasing down and suing infringers

If you subcontract to a license holder or the license owner and THEY resell it (they still have to abide by the terms of their agreement with their association) then you are covered under their license but you can't sell it to anyone else
DCMW
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by DCMW »

tcaudle wrote:
tirediron wrote:What happens if you sell your piece to someone that has a craft license?
If its a trademark (logo) then the same thing that happens if you sell it to anybody else. If it's a copyright issue then its up to the copyright holder to pursue the issue. Collages and schools mostly belong to an association (like IMG College) to manager their trademark and copyrighted stuff. Large corporations typically handle their own trademarks. Its a big dollar business and the associations prove their value by chasing down and suing infringers

If you subcontract to a license holder or the license owner and THEY resell it (they still have to abide by the terms of their agreement with their association) then you are covered under their license but you can't sell it to anyone else
Thank you for this explanation! This is the advise I was looking for. Not to get bashed and to get shunned by the "all knowing" plasma art "gods". Thank you again!

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”