Price check on 1/4 steel

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
Daddyd955
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Price check on 1/4 steel

Post by Daddyd955 »

Newbie to plasma world, purchased 8x10 table with hypertherm 85 in June, working my first parts job with building contractor, 1/4" plate , pretty simple mounting plates with bolts holes, he is furnishing the material. Would like ideas on pricing? One is like 4x7 other 9x6 40 each!
Thanks
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Price check on 1/4 steel

Post by jimcolt »

I just bought a 4 x 8 sheet of hot rolled 1/4" steel yesterday, $186.00. I double the price of the steel and calculate its selling price by rectangular square inches. If cutting a 12" round, charge for 12" x 12" or 144" square. Then use that same price calculated as 2x the price of the steel.

$186.00 x 2 = $372.00. divide by 4608 (square inches in a 4 x 8 plate) = $.08 (8 cents per square inch) is the selling price for the steel if you supplied it. Then figure your linear inches cut on each part (most software will tell you that using the measure function).....and multiply linear inces cut x the same figure ($.08 per linear inch cut.

When you supply the material....you still need to handle it. So charge for the linear inches cut using this method (if you have a Hypertherm plasma, others will cost more due to consumable life), then come up with a nominal charge for handling their steel.

I do not allow customers to supply the steel in my shop.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

I never allow customers to supply steel. Last week a customer asked me why not and I ask him, do you take your steak to the steak house and ask them to cook it. Then I told him if I couldn't make my mark-up on materials I wouldn't be able to keep my doors open.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
langdoniron
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by langdoniron »

I have a fab shop and sell steel retail. I have about a $30K steel inventory and mostly sell smallish chunks cut to size for farm repairs and projects for locals. I pay around .50/lb for 1/4 hot rolled plate and sell it for a buck a pound cut to size. Might sound like a lot of markup but I end up with lots of drops and have to handle a sheet several times... And of course, I have a $80,000 shear and a building to keep it in and pay an employee to help the customer.

The cost of steel varies a lot and the biggest variable is how much shipping it is to your area. If you live real close to the mill you might be paying as low as .35/lb from a service center. Some folks are paying as much as .70/ from the same service center at a different branch because of the cost to move the material an extra 1000 miles. If you are paying something in that .45-.55/lb I would say you are average

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”