Craft store space rental question

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
Kibby
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Craft store space rental question

Post by Kibby »

Hi all. I have an oputnity to put some of my metal products in a local craft store that's just opening up. I have talked to the women opening the store and told her I would be interested in renting 8-10 feet of wall space to display my stuff, my question is what would a fair price be for this? Does anyone do something simaliar? Do I pay a monthly rent on the space or do a percentage on the products or a combo of both? Her store is in a very good spot on a busy road close to a state park so the potential for good sales is there. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Craft store space rental question

Post by tnbndr »

Usually a shop will have a rate already set. If they are looking to you for suggestions, preferably I would want to pay a monthly fee and no %%% of sales.
Most places I have dealt with do both a monthly fee and a %% of sales. Some places just do a %% of sales but it is usually in the 25% area.
Remember they have to checkout the items and keep track of who sold and what.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

I have 2 places. One is in a high end antique mall and cost me $150 per month and 10% of sales. The second one is in a antique mall in a smaller town with a fraction of the traffic as the other and I pay $50 a month and 10% of sales. The pace is a 10' X 10' at both sites. The $150 a month site has been well worth the cost. I not only sell a lot of product out of it but I get a lot of calls and special order work from it.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
redheadfred
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by redheadfred »

I'm in 2 local stores and they get 20% per piece and no monthly fees . I move quite a bit of product through them but move more product through my Facebook store fyi .
Arclight 4x4
Hypertherm Pm45
Lincoln 256 Mig
Precision Tig 275
Baileigh 50 Ton Press
Quincy 2 stage 5Hp compressor
Redneck
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Redneck »

Make sure you understand who is responsible for damaged or lost products. I know consignment shops work for some people. We have tried it several times, and it has never ended well.
Countrylane
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Countrylane »

We have tried it too and never again. The pieces weren't taken care of and got scratched up. They don't care as much because it isn't theirs. Glad if it works for some of you. I would sooner sell my pieces and let them mark them up to sell. We have done that and it works better.
Kibby
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Kibby »

Thanks everyone for the input, very helpful. I've had good luck with the consignment, the women who runs it is very good and is very meticulous with talking care of everyone's products. She is moving from a small store to a much larger place with very high traffic, she's just getting things in order and looking for ideas on what to charge.
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by motoguy »

I have not done any consignment sales, but I had a placr hit me up about putting items in their store front. They are asking for a straight 15% of sale price. I thought that was a bit on the high side, but reading here, maybe that is in line.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

motoguy wrote:I have not done any consignment sales, but I had a placr hit me up about putting items in their store front. They are asking for a straight 15% of sale price. I thought that was a bit on the high side, but reading here, maybe that is in line.
Motoguy, 15% is a good deal for you. If you are in business for yourself and don't make at least 30% profit on your sales you want be in business long. I would take 15% and be very happy.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
jakedog
2 Star Member
2 Star Member