Looking to check my pricing on this sign.

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Looking to check my pricing on this sign.

Post by motoguy »

I've got a customer who wants this character cut in 1/8 aluminum to mount to a residence. I will be supplying the cut character with mounting studs, as well as a 1" "light shield" to keep the rear-mounted LED lights from being visible from the side (on each piece). Customer is handling LED lighting, finishing/painting, as well as installation.

Character is 48" tall, overall is 62" tall. 2 pieces, bubble is being cut separate from character, beside him, to minimize stock usage).
Bingo-brick-800pxl.jpg
Number of tool changes: 1
Total cut distance: 1131.5547 in
Total cut time: 647.17 s
Total rapid distance: 542.0926 in
Total pierces: 69
Job time: 717.35 s
Job width: 46.269 in
Job height: 48.5378 in
Job area: 2245.795 in2

4x10 sheet of 1/8 AL sheet is $200 from my provider, so $0.0347 per sq inch purchase cost.

I'm planning on welding 4", 3/8" AL bolts on the back for support. For the light shield, I plan on using strips of thin AL (sourced from a buddy of mine who builds race cars...scrap body material) for the light shield on the back. 1" strip with bent tabs to attach to the back of the sign. Rather than trying to weld the thin AL, I think I'll just put VHB tape on the tabs, and let that hold the light shield strip to the sign. Run some silicone along the inside, in order to seal the gap.

I've quoted the sign, and the customer was quick to agree. I'm curious where you experienced sign builders would be, regarding price. Thanks!

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
ranger#1
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Looking to check my pricing on this sign.

Post by ranger#1 »

what did you quote him?
motoguy

Re: Looking to check my pricing on this sign.

Post by motoguy »

I quoted $520. He thought that sounded good.

I've got it all cut, and ready to tack the light shield and mounting bolts to the back. I need to find someone who can do that for me, without melting through the 1/8" aluminum panel. I've got a TIG welder (Miller EconoTig), but I'm not proficient with it. As a matter of fact, I used it for the first time on Friday. I keep bubbling through the 1/8" panel, and I really don't want to have to re-cut the character.

The due date on this sign is the 22nd, and I'm not sure I'll be up to snuff on the TIG work in that time. Better to just pay to have it done, and make sure the customer is happy. This one I'll chalk up to a learning experience.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”