Copyright Infringement

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
DARRYL21270
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Copyright Infringement

Post by DARRYL21270 »

Just an FYI. These corporations can take everything from you if your selling items without their permission. If you think it can't or won't happen to you then your sorely mistaken. Harley Davidson is notorious for strict copyright infringement policies. I know because early on I was making and selling HD signs until I got a letter from their legal dept. Http://www.creativeincomeblog.com/selli ... rked-work/
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Copyright Infringement

Post by Capstone »

This isn't new, but some members to Plasma Spider may be, so the message bears repeating. I never post designs here that are copyrighted in any fashion. I also won't even discuss with customers wanting to purchase designs from the following : Harlee, The big Mouse, any Niffle team or tier one college football school logos, not even as gifts from myself. Comics/Pop Culture stuff, Car/Vehicle Makers and Celebrities are all case-by-case
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
DARRYL21270
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by DARRYL21270 »

Thanks for replying. I see that the topic got a lot of looks but you and I are the only ones to say anything about it. I didn't realize when I posted this that another member created a similar thread with 0 responses. This is a very important topic of discussion and one that could save someone's business and assets if any of these companies feel like coming after them. Just because you may only be selling a few doesn't exclude you. They don't care.
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

There are degrees of risk as with all things. Harlee is a big no-no, not even as gifts. That's why I don't even spell it properly; because they've got high-tech bots out looking for infringement and a team of lawyers at the ready.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
Bobcat320
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Bobcat320 »

I have read enough on this topic here over the past year to be afraid...very afraid to cross that line.
About 5 years ago my daughter started cutting wine bottles and making wind chimes out of them. She put them on Etsy under the heading "Wine Chimes" and in less than a week had a certified letter from the lawyers who represented the company that had the copyrighted name "Wine Chimes" to immediately "cease and desist" or she would be sued. Needless to say, she immediately dropped her Etsy site!
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hyperthem PM65
Edwards 25T Ironworker
Miller Mig, Tig, Stick & Portable

Why pierce it when you can punch it!
sawdust1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by sawdust1 »

My wife is a cardmaker, many of the rubber stamps she buys have an angel policy. They allow you to sell 10 or some number using that stamp and then you are supposed to stop. I would think that the big logos would encourage people, free advertising! I am putting a certain motorcycle logo on a big piece of marble that will likely be incorporated into a wetbar. I guess I will not be posting a picture! Too bad, looks sharp.
david
home built 4x4 watertable. Qcad, SheetCam and Linuxcnc
Miller 375 Cutmate
Lincoln buzz box and a Miller Mig
KNK MAXX vinyl cutter
The adventure started with a Cricut cutter that I hacked.
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

How in the world is the stamp manufacturer or originator or whoever going to know how many times you've used it unless each card/item is posted or published?

A friend of mine purchased plans for a clock which stated he was allowed to make only 10, then he'd have to buy the plans again to make more. How are they going to know how many clocks he's made? Maybe I'm looking at it wrong but that sounds like a bunch of hogwash to me. If I pay for plans, stamp, or whatever, I' consider it's mine and I'm going to use it. That's as bad as the auto manufacturers saying we don't actually own our vehicles, we're just using them.

Allen
mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by mdwalker »

abmetal wrote:How in the world is the stamp manufacturer or originator or whoever going to know how many times you've used it unless each card/item is posted or published?

A friend of mine purchased plans for a clock which stated he was allowed to make only 10, then he'd have to buy the plans again to make more. How are they going to know how many clocks he's made? Maybe I'm looking at it wrong but that sounds like a bunch of hogwash to me. If I pay for plans, stamp, or whatever, I' consider it's mine and I'm going to use it. That's as bad as the auto manufacturers saying we don't actually own our vehicles, we're just using them.

Allen
When you purchase something that has terms and conditions that are known to you and presented to you prior to purchase then when you purchase that item you are accepting their terms and conditions. Once you purchase under those terms and conditions your "opinion" does not change those terms and conditions so long as they are in agreement with federal, state, and local laws. As far as enforcement, that would be hard to enforce and is mainly the "honor" system. Would I count the number of times I used the stamp or the plans? Probably not, but I would still be bound by the agreement that I purchased them under.
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

Count with me 1, 2, 3, 4, 2, 3, 4, 2, 3, 4, I'm sorry I have stuttered all my life. LOL

Ric Ric Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
Gustav129
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Gustav129 »

"John Dear" is another big one. My ex-gf's family own a quilt shop, and "John Dear" pulled production on fabrics because people were making crafts and selling them on Etsy, etc. The colleges followed suit, U of Washington was a big name that pursued people.
tcmetal
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by tcmetal »

What about cutting out and selling of motorcycles, that are supposed to be a specific brand but does not bare their name? If that also a no no? I am very interested in learning more about this infringement stuff as I do not wish to get into any trouble doing something I am truly loving.
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

tcmetal wrote:What about cutting out and selling of motorcycles, that are supposed to be a specific brand but does not bare their name? If that also a no no? I am very interested in learning more about this infringement stuff as I do not wish to get into any trouble doing something I am truly loving.
I'm not a lawyer so beyond the obvious, you'd have to read up on the mfr's website concerning their copyrights.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
DARRYL21270
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by DARRYL21270 »

I belong to a group on Facebook that is for people who make things handmade and they post all kinds of infringement. One woman today was selling st. louis cardinal purses and wallets that her and a friend make at home. Either people don't know or are just plain stupid. I'm guessing the latter.
kdwilson33
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by kdwilson33 »

I'm new to CNC plasma world so this may be a dumb question but is it illegal to sell metal art that has signtorch images incorporated into the piece? Signtorch came with the machine which I purchased new from a manufacturer so I've paid for the program. Looking for an explanation in layman's terms por favor.
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

kdwilson33 wrote:I'm new to CNC plasma world so this may be a dumb question but is it illegal to sell metal art that has signtorch images incorporated into the piece? Signtorch came with the machine which I purchased new from a manufacturer so I've paid for the program. Looking for an explanation in layman's terms por favor.
I also have sign Torch and it clearing states in the License agreement that you can make and sell physical, non digital items based on their product. You can not sell the files or distribute them in any way that would allow a 3rd party to produce products from them, so no sharing files on here that have sign torch elements in them.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
kdwilson33
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by kdwilson33 »

That makes sense, thanks for the info.
poppopsworkshop
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by poppopsworkshop »

I do several craft shows a year and Make my own products. But there is this guy who has tons on this trademark stuff that he make and totes to 6 show that I know of. One day he will get caught.

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”