Custom Aluminum Gauge Panel ~ Price Check

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Custom Aluminum Gauge Panel ~ Price Check

Post by Capstone »

Using the Pricing Estimator I came up with $141.00 (rounding to the dollar)

.125 Aluminum
31" x 6"
12 pierces
176in cut distance
1 hr design - $50

I know all the numbers match up, but I'm curious if anyone else would do this a lot cheaper or am I leaving money on the table or right on.

Do any of you discount if the job doesn't take too long or if the customer wants it faster?

Thanks for some input.
Last edited by Capstone on Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Custom Aluminum Gauge Panela ~ Price Check

Post by Shane Warnick »

1/8" AL (5052 H32) Costs me $0.0275 per square inch. Double that, I charge $0.055 per inch for material, and to cut.

So, 31.5 x 6.5 (add 1/2" in each direction, to account to waste on edge of sheet etc) -- 204.75" -- Round up to 205"
12 pierces (each pierce charged at same as a cut inch)
176 inches of cut
total 393 inches at 0.055 cents per inch, equals a whopping $21.62
I would be at $60 for an hour of cad time

My total would be $81.62

Now, if it was a one time never see them again deal, and I was busy and it was a PITA to load the AL etc, I would prob add $20 or so to it, and do it for a cool benjamin out the door, $100. If it was a good customer that spends a lot of money here, I would prob just say $80 and be done with it.

Now, for the sticky wicket. IF I didn't have any 1/8 AL laying around, AND I didn't have any business for that in the near future, I would frown on buying a 48x96" sheet and sitting on it for 6 months. I ain't into hatching things. I would prob tell the customer to go by xyz laser shop or the waterjet people, and ask for a drop that was 1' x 3' or so, that I could cut their piece on . I would encourage them to get a price on cutting while they were there, then bring me the material, and I would prob cut it for $75 which includes the CAD time. OR, they could pay for it, and I would cut it when I got another job for 1/8" AL, could be next week, could be next month. Bottom line, it's not good business to tie up $125 in AL plate standing in the corner for a year etc for a $100 job (gross), in my book that's cash flow negative.

Shane
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Custom Aluminum Gauge Panela ~ Price Check

Post by Capstone »

Shane, thanks for the excellent info. I had the 1/8in alum "lying around" from a previous project so I was making good use of the remaining aluminum. Picture one of those TLC Shows that is customizing a car for a very special client who's on a drop-dead schedule for a once in a lifetime event. So that's what is happening here...I am in the sub-contract role for exactly this kind of project, for a customer that will see one giant bill at the end and likely has money to burn and I was addressing a major timing concern so I went for it. I dropped everything and started on this... All-up all-in, I sold it for $160, not because I was trying to gouge but because I got the pieces to them a day early and they were very happy with the time savings on a very time sensitive build so my "value" was on a different level relative to the money involved. They didn't even bat and eye at my price. I'm guessing they will come to me with more projects too. So winner!!
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Custom Aluminum Gauge Panel ~ Price Check

Post by Shane Warnick »

I wasn't implying you were gouging by any means, just what I would normally come in at.

I feel my customers out as well, and as you stated, it was a drop what you are doing and make this, right now. I have a price for that as well, just like there is a price for "work until 3 am and get this done do I can pick it up at 0730 tomorrow morning". I would have been more expensive given the circumstances myself.

Shane

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”