file converting programs????

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
bryancab
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

file converting programs????

Post by bryancab »

what is the best file converting program
please go easy on me as I am freshly new to this

I would like to take images off the net and convert them for cutting

thank you
ABLE CUTTING & FABRICATION
torchmate 4800
BATON ROUGE, LA
Doc Hollywood
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: file converting programs????

Post by Doc Hollywood »

So.....you want to down load say, a picture of a farm or waterfall ect and have it automatically converted to cut paths? Or you want to down load clip art, and vectorize it to cut paths ? What machine do you have? Software ect?
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Hi Bryan,

VectorMagic is a pretty good one and one that many graphics pros use I believe. It is about $300 for the downloadable version though I think.

Seeing as you are new to all this stuff I'll tell you some of the nasties of file conversion. A lot of guys think that fandabidozy (correct spelling ???) converting software will solve all their woes and they will get a great conversion of just about any bitmap image. However, these programs are just that, programs, and they are not as smart as us when it comes to converting an image. They attempt to guess where the divides are between contrasting colours in the image and will place a vector line at those guesstimates. Where the separation of colours is more "vague" you can get some "interesting" results.

Learning to use bitmap editing software can help you with the auto conversion software. If you can edit the original bitmap image you MAY get a better auto trace from the adjusted bitmap. Your main aim is to get CONTRAST betweeen different colours so the auto tracing software will put vector lines there. Now that doesn't necessarily give you a "cut ready" file, that may be a totally different kettle of fish. Example, auto trace a capital letter A and when you cut it the triangle in the middle drops out (search for "dropouts" on the forum). So many images have to be manually edited even after auto tracing.

Learn to also manually trace, learning about lines and nodes and how to manipulate them (Google, Youtube, paid course for your vector program). Coreldraw is one good program for this. Sometimes it's the only way to convert a file and can be quicker than auto tracing then fixing up the auto trace. Many are lazy when it comes to this side of things and will ask for "help" (can someone just do this for me because my auto trace isn't doing it well).

Good luck with your journey,

Keith.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

you can download Inkscape for free and there are a great number of Youtube videos on how to do different things with it.
I use it for many of the drawing I convert (cannot afford the expensive programs or too cheap!). As with any program you will need to learn how to do what you want. Some have a different approach as to how they do the conversions. This is why there are different posts labeled with the names of the software here and help can be had if you start to learn and then need help. If you only have few you wish to convert you may just contact Ben De lappe a member here and pay to have it done many have and are please with the work
https://www.facebook.com/designs.by.delap
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”