Need some pricing help quick

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
jbc28
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Need some pricing help quick

Post by jbc28 »

Sorry for needing this in a hurry, but I had a local shop inquire about cutting some large letters (2' tall). They will provide the material (3/8" aluminum) and the transportation of it.

It comes out to 729 cut inches and 33 pierces.

I would like to give them a fair price without giving it away. I would like to continue doing work for them.
LDR 5x10
Hypertherm 85
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Need some pricing help quick

Post by Shane Warnick »

I would prob be in the $150-200 range, not sure how many letters there are, and what they want done to them after they are cut. If I am cleaning them it may or may not be higher, depends on how many there are, and what letters they are. Some are easier to de-burr / clean than others.

That is JUST FOR THE CUTTING. They would pay shop rate for unloading, racking, loading on table, re-racking, reloading the drop if there was one on their trailer, and cleaning the parts. That is because I would not be making any money on the material. If they buy material from me, I include most of that in the price and it's covered by material markup.

Remember, when pricing things like this, you have risk exposure, even if they are providing the material. You mess up (or the torch or table gets retarded and does it for you) and you toast a sheet of 3/8" AL, you get to buy some now. Make sure you cover your butt so when (and IT WILL HAPPEN) it does happen, you may end up doing the job for free, but at least it's not a loss. I make sure especially when they are providing material, I will make enough to cover replacing the material if I have to do so, and like I said, I might not make a dime on the job, but at least didn't really lose a lot either. The customer was taken care of, and I learned something, and hopefully they will come back and I can make money off them next time.

You can shear that sheep every year, you can't skin him but one time.

Shane

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”