Anyone sell stuff on etsy?

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Anyone sell stuff on etsy?

Post by gamble »

Just curious but I've been trying it and the customers seem to be very bitchy and picky.
Sold one piece (sports piece) and the lady is asking for a return because her husband (a huge fan) doesn't know a sports logo of his favorite team when he sees it.

Another lady (bought the same item) complained because she didn't feel the clear coat and it didn't look like I put it on there. Also the picture doesn't match the color of the item she has. I also state that the finish will be different on every piece. Then she says she still doesn't like it and won't give it to her friend instead she will keep it for herself. Even though I offered her a return.

WTF is with people. Everything is clearly stated. Do people just not read?
What would you guys do?
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
grindergary
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Anyone sell stuff on etsy?

Post by grindergary »

Try these links from here,http://plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=16166 and this one
http://plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=12591

Good reading

Hope that helps

Gary
4x8 Home made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
4x8 Home Router made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
Candcnc DHCTII Electronics
Hypertherm Powermax 105 machine torch
Sheetcam, Mach 3
Corel Draw 8, V Carve Pro
Miller CTS 280 Miller Mig
islander261
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by islander261 »

Ok, we sell other stuff on Etsy every week. For the most part it is trouble free, but there is always someone who wants something for nothing. It is hard to protect your self on peer rated venues so you just have to take a hit sometimes. We sell high margin fabric goods, not metal (that is a whole different post that will be met with vigorous disagreement here), our gross margins are about 1:8+ so it doesn't kill us to make the whiners happy when we have to. We always charge for shipping at USPS rates (no UPS or FEDEX office where we live).

1. Always use a picture of the actual item you will ship. This is easy and cheap with digital phones and cameras.
2. Always get a tracking number and email it to recipient. This is a big deal, it proves you tried your best to uphold your part of the deal if things go bad.

John
wickedinhere
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by wickedinhere »

Yeah you will get some people that just complain no matter what and they seem to come in groups.
I had one woman that just plain refused delivery because she changed her mind.
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

I feel like nobody wants to buy from anyone with less than 5 stars also. I have 4.5

Some lady kept sending me messages as to why the post office hasn't moved her package in a few days. A normal complaint. I kept saying sorry and if there are any issues I would fix it. Blah blah and she said she go it and it was beautiful. I asked if she would kindly leave feedback.... And silence. No feedback and no response
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
yeomansjon
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by yeomansjon »

I stumbled across this post while looking for something else and i'm SHOCKED that more people don't know about Etsy. I sell on Etsy and it's well worth it. I'm not getting rich, but it is a nice little adder for the tiny bit of effort and small fee. I imagine if I had a lot more listings than I would make some serious money. Most of what i do is custom work that is personalized so it doesn't do me any good to list for sale there. But I do have 20 or so stock items that are not personalized that would appeal to others and have done pretty well. There are a lot of metal work shops on there and they all do well, the secret is to sell stuff nobody else has. I 'Promoted' a listing for $12 and it resulted in $1500 in sales almost immediately. Maybe it's a younger generation thing, but everyone I know from their 20's to 50's has bought items off of Etsy. I am in no way connected to the site or anyone on this string, but from my personal experience I would highly recommend it to anyone.
Fast Jonny Custom Design
CNC Plasma Cutting
Plasmacam DHC
Hypertherm Powermax 1000
www.facebook.com/fastjonnycustomdesign
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

You guys that sell on etsy. Do you cut as pieces are ordered or have pieces cut on hand waiting for orders?
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
yeomansjon
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by yeomansjon »

I cut as pieces are ordered, except just this past X-mas season I made 10 of a certain hot seller and having the reduced lead time played to my benefit as they sold out. I may start trying to cut things out and listing them with a 1-3 day turnaround as opposed to 2-3 weeks and see if that attraction leads to more sales.
Fast Jonny Custom Design
CNC Plasma Cutting
Plasmacam DHC
Hypertherm Powermax 1000
www.facebook.com/fastjonnycustomdesign

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”