price check please

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
bbkf2009
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

price check please

Post by bbkf2009 »

hi, just hoping for a second opinion here. got a job cutting 3/8" plate, about 3700" of cut and 780 pierce points. only one sheet and customer will be providing the material. thank you!
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: price check please

Post by rdj357 »

Depending on how much handling of pieces, $1,000-$1,500 for me.
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

Without knowing the part number and size, it's hard to say for sure. Based on the info provided, I would be around $500 for the cutting, and I would charge the shop labor rate for unloading his steel, racking it / placing it on the table, and removing the skeleton, and would add 15 min to it if there was a drop I was going to have to reload for him to take away when he picks up the parts. I figure that's about 2 hrs of work if I'm cutting at 65 amps, plus time for handling the sheet.

The price would go up if it was a whole sheet of parts that were small, if it's 780 individual pieces it would be A LOT higher. Gotta deal with tip ups, fishing them out from under the table etc, however, if it's 50 parts with holes / slots in each of them, so 8-12 pierces per piece, I would price as above. My price above would be for clean parts (I would knock the dross off with a flap disc), again if it was a lot of small parts it would be higher.

I figure I can do the entire job (less sheet handling, which would be charged at the shop labor hourly rate) in 3 hours, probably closer to 2 1/2 depending on part count. One nozzle, one flap disc, and electricity, I am in less than $40 total, may even be as low as $25. $153 / hr profit, not a bad way to make a living.

This is, as you stated, the price for the customer providing the material. If I was providing the material, I wouldn't charge for handling the sheet, it would be in the markup for the material, UNLESS the customer is ordering less than $500 of total cutting on sheets 1/4" thick or larger, then there is a material handling fee, starts at $50 and goes up from there. That covers the time it takes to load the sheets on the table and re-rack them afterwards.

Shane
rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

It's an hour and a half just cutting and piercing at 65 amps not counting any rapid travel. With that many inches in a sheet and 780 pierces I am betting it's at least a few hundred pieces thus my number. Shane is right, if you are cutting slots in a full sheet with no drop outs or tip ups to fight it would be down there but I'm betting this would really be a 5 hour project start to finish including handling, etc.

That's .8" of cutting per square inch of sheet at a 4'x8' sheet and .51" per square inch at 5'x10' so I was figuring on a lot of little pieces/details to weed and handle....
bbkf2009
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by bbkf2009 »

thanks a ton for the for the replies guys. total number of parts is 230 if i remember right (so some fishing). and as for cleaning them, I just tossed them in my old cement mixer for 5-10 minutes per 50 parts or so. i quoted them for $1400 and total i think i had 4 hours into the job. just wanted to make sure i wasn't to far out of line with my price. definitely not a bad way to make a living :)

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”